Logical Reasoning - Statement and Assumption
Exercise : Statement and Assumption - Section 2
Directions to Solve
In each question below is given a statement followed by two assumptions numbered I and II. You have to consider the statement and the following assumptions and decide which of the assumptions is implicit in the statement.
- (A) If only assumption I is implicit
- (B) If only assumption II is implicit
- (C) If either I or II is implicit
- (D) If neither I nor II is implicit
- (E) If both I and II are implicit.
Statement: The Principal instructed all the teachers to be careful in class because some students may disturb other students.
- The teachers will handle the situation properly and they will point out the naughty students.
- The students will welcome the decision of the Principal.
Clearly, teachers have been instructed to maintain discipline in the class and point out the naughty students who do not let other students study. So, I is implicit. Besides, the implementation of the instructions would surely help good students to concentrate on their studies and ensure a good working atmosphere in the class. So, II is also implicit.
Statement: The present examination system needs overhauling thoroughly.
- The present examination system is obsolete.
- Overhauling results in improvement.
Statement: Read this book to get detailed and most comprehensive information on this issue.
- The person who wants this information can read.
- There are other books available on this issue.
Clearly, I directly follows from the statement. So, I is implicit. Also, according to the statement, this particular book gives 'most comprehensive' information on the issue. So, it can be assumed that other books are also available on this topic. Thus, II is also implicit.
Statement: Traffic jams on most of the roads in the city have become a regular feature during monsoon.
- Material used for road construction cannot withstand the fury of monsoon resulting into innumerable pot holes on the roads.
- Number of vehicles coming on the roads is much more in monsoon as compared to other seasons.
Statement: 'Guests should be provided lunch.' - A tells B.
- Unless told, lunch may not be provided.
- Guests will stay during lunch time.