Verbal Reasoning - Data Sufficiency
In each of the following problems, there is one question and three statements I, II and III given below the question. You have to decide whether the data given in the statements is sufficient to answer the question. Read all the statements carefully and find which of the statements is/are sufficient to answer the given question. Choose the correct alternative in each question.
Question: In a certain code, 'XYZ' means 'We are friends'. Which letter stands for 'We' ?
- 'PYN' means 'They are classmates'.
- 'ZMS' means 'We love them'.
- 'PX' means 'Hello friends',
To find the code for 'we', we need to have any of the following:
(i) 'We are friends' should have only 'We' common with another statement, as in II;
(ii) 'We are friends' should have only 'are' and 'friends' common with another single or two statements, as in I and III. Thus, we need Either II only or I and III only.
Question: Among P, Q, R, S and T, Q is the second tallest and S is immediate taller than the shortest. Who among them is in the middle when they stand in the order of their heights ?
- T is not the shortest.
- R is taller than S but shorter than Q.
- P ranks third in height above S when all are arranged in the order of height.
From the given statement, the descending order of heights is :__, Q,__, S,__.
From II, we have the order: _, Q, R, S,__. Thus, R is in the middle.
From III, we have the order : P, Q,__, S,__. But, according to I, T is not the shortest.
So, R is the shortest. Thus, we have the order : P, Q, T, S, R. So, T is in the middle.
Question: Four subjects - Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology - were taught in four consecutive periods of one hour each starting from 8.00 a.m. At what time was the Chemistry period scheduled ?
- Mathematics period ended at 10.00 a.m., which was preceded by Biology.
- Physics was scheduled in the last period.
- Mathematics period was immediately followed by Chemistry.
From I and II, we conclude that Mathematics period began at 9.00 a.m., Biology period began at 8.00 a.m. and Physics period began at 11 a.m. So, the Chemistry period began at 10.00 a.m.
From I and III, we conclude that Mathematics period ended and Chemistry period began at 10.00 a.m.
Question: What is the total monthly salary of Vasu ?
- Vasu's basic salary is Rs 100 more than Rajan's salary who also serves in Vasu's company.
- Other allowances drawn by Rajan besides his basic salary are Rs 2000 per month which is Rs 50 less than Vasu's salary.
- Rajan's basic salary is Rs 1550 per month,
From III, we have: Rajan's basic salary = Rs. 1550.
From I, we have: Vasu's basic salary = Rs. (1550 + 100) = Rs. 1650.
From II, we have: Rajan's other allowances = Rs. 2000 and Vasu's other allowances = Rs. 2050.
Therefore Vasu's monthly salary = Rs. (1650 + 2050) = Rs. 3700.
Question: Who is the tallest among six boys P, T, N, D, Q and R ?
- P is taller than D and N but not-as tall as T.
- R is taller than Q but not as tall as T.
- Q is not taller than T and R.
From I, we have: P > D, P > N, T > P i.e. T > P > D > N or T > P > N > D ...(i)
From II, we have: R > Q, T > R i.e. T > R > Q ...(ii)
From III, we have: T > Q, R > Q ...(iii)
Clearly, from (i) and (ii), we conclude that T is taller than each one of P, N, D, R and Q. So, T is the tallest.