Civil Engineering - Highway Engineering - Discussion

Discussion Forum : Highway Engineering - Section 3 (Q.No. 43)
A gradient along which the vehicle does not require any tractive effort to maintain a specified speed, is known as
ruling gradient
pushing gradient
floating gradient
minimum gradient
Answer: Option
No answer description is available. Let's discuss.
3 comments Page 1 of 1.

Sushma said:   5 years ago
Thank you @Kanji.

Kanji said:   5 years ago
Gradient :

It is expressed as the ratio of the difference of heights between the two points and the distance between them.

Eg: Now when you are going up on the hill by road, then you need more tractive effort. But when you are coming down, the tractive effort is negative, means your car will speed downwards. Even while going Straight a car need some amount of tractive effort. But there is a definite gradient in which you will need no tractive effort. Remember, it is not negative tractive effort but just the amount that is required to maintain the speed. So that specific gradient in which you can maintain a specific speed will be called floating gradient.

Loki said:   6 years ago
Anyone explain it? please.

Post your comments here:

Your comments will be displayed after verification.