Aptitude - Percentage - Discussion

Discussion :: Percentage - General Questions (Q.No.3)

3. 

A fruit seller had some apples. He sells 40% apples and still has 420 apples. Originally, he had:

[A]. 588 apples
[B]. 600 apples
[C]. 672 apples
[D]. 700 apples

Answer: Option D

Explanation:

Suppose originally he had x apples.

Then, (100 - 40)% of x = 420.

60 x x = 420
100

x = 420 x 100   = 700.
60

Video Explanation: https://youtu.be/-Pv25Do3WwY


Sonu said: (Dec 15, 2010)  
45% of ? + 30% of 90= 30% of 210?

Sonu said: (Dec 15, 2010)  
If 37% of a no. is 990.86, what will be approximately 19% of that no.?

Aparna said: (Jan 28, 2011)  
@sonu
the ans. is 102.22
45/100*x=30/100*90=30/100*210
9x/20+27=63
9x/20=63-27
x=(46*20)/9
x=102.22

Srinivas said: (Feb 4, 2011)  
45/100*x=30/100*90=30/100*210
9x/20+27=63
9x/20=63-27
x=(36*20)/9
x=80

Ramesh said: (Feb 11, 2011)  
APPLES SOLD = 40%
SO REMAINING APPLES = 60%
60% = 420
FULL (100%) = (100/60) X 420
= 700
ANS: 700 APPLES

Vipul said: (Mar 11, 2011)  
Here

Whole apples is 60% acco. to the quess
and we have sell 40%
ok
here
aftr sellng 40% of apple remaing is 60%

ok
thn
60% of apple =420 remaing apples
then 60/100=420

=700

Sanjeev Kumar said: (May 22, 2011)  
Let Total apple = x
x of 40% + 420 = x
2x/5+420=x
5x = 2x+2100
3x = 2100
x = 700

Viji said: (Aug 2, 2011)  
Excellent answer!!

Kartik Patel said: (Aug 9, 2011)  
Let x is total apple

Since he sell 40% of total i.e. 40x/100

x-40x/100=420
6x=4200
x=700

Amit said: (Aug 16, 2011)  
RAMESH you are Great.

Sachin Soni said: (Oct 8, 2011)  
Apple sold 40%.

Remaining 60% = 420.

Then 1% apple are 420/60 = 7.

Then 100% = 7x100 = 700 answer.

Nilesh said: (Nov 6, 2011)  
Hey aprna, your answer is wrong dear...right ans. 80
30% of 210=63
30% of 90=27
63=27+45% of x
45% f x=63-27=36
if 36=45 f x thn
36/45^100=80

Donkor said: (Dec 2, 2011)  
40% of apples are sold and still left with 420 apples
remaining=60%(100%-40%)
if remaining=420 apples, then it is also equal to 60%
therefore if 60%=420 apples
40%=? ratio and proportion

if less more divide

40/100 x 100/60(dividing 40% by 60%, and reciprocating it in the multiplication) x 420

=2/3 x 420= 280 here 280 only represent 40%
therefore whole apples(60%+40%)
280+420=700

Nikky said: (Dec 21, 2011)  
45% of ? + 90% of 9000= 30% of ?

Md Saleh said: (Jan 19, 2012)  
A simple solution:

ie. 40% sold means
Remaining 60%=420
Therefore 420/60=70 ie 10%
therefore 70*40%=280
ie 280+420=700 total apples.

Iqbal Singh said: (Apr 2, 2012)  
@sachin soni.
You solve this question very easy. Excellent answer.

Parthi said: (Apr 25, 2012)  
40% apple sold
60% apple 420
therefore 40% apple = (420/60)*40 = 280

60% + 40% = 100%
420 + 280 = 700

Santosh said: (May 3, 2012)  
Can We Do Like This???
From The Options If We take any option And Taking 40% from that Option and adding to the remaining Apples We Have To Get The Original Option

Ex : (40% of 700 is 280)+ (remaining Apples 420)= 700

Kalai said: (May 5, 2012)  
Simple: 40% apples sold. remains =420 it means 60% ....

60%=420 Then 1%=70

Then (Total)=100% =( 1% * 100) ===> 100*7 = 700Apples

Sangeetha said: (Jul 7, 2012)  
Let the total apples be X.

40% of total apples are sold.

Remaining apples are 420.

Here,
Total - remaining apples = apples sold.

X-420=40% of X.

X-2/5X=420.

X=700.

Abhisek said: (Sep 20, 2012)  
There are so many process but we need only short one.
100-40= 60%
60%= 420
100% = 420*100/60
=700

Santhosh Kiran said: (Sep 30, 2012)  
x=40/100[x+420]
10x=4x+1680
6x=1680
x=1680/6
x=280
So the original apple=x+420

=280+420
=700

Abhisek said: (Nov 22, 2012)  
100-40=60%

60%=420

So 100%= 420*100*100/100*60=700

Its more short type.

Sameer said: (Mar 6, 2013)  
It is very simple.

If 40% is sold out then 60% is remains.

Then,

(420/60) *100= 700.

Chandan said: (Apr 5, 2013)  
It really simple .

See if 40% sold out then remain is 60%,
That means 60% = 420.

Let total number of fruit is X, we have to find the value Of X?

So, 60/100*X = 420 as of question,
X = 4200/6 = 700(ans).

Varun said: (May 27, 2013)  
Person sold 40% of apples. Then 60% of apples are leftover.

420 = 60%

He asked to find out total number of apples, and total number of apples are given in the options.

That means take the options individually and find 60% of that number, if the answer is 420, then thats the total number of appeals he had.

Deeps said: (Jun 6, 2013)  
I hope this is the best answer:

Consider x = Original number of apples, Sold 40% of x
remaining is 420.

x-40% of x = 420.

x-40/100 x = 420.

x-2x/5 = 420 (dividing 40/100 =2/5).

x = 700.

Sandeep Dhek said: (Aug 28, 2013)  
Short one:

Remaining apples (100%-40%) = 60%.

60% = 420.

40% = (40*420) /60.

= 280 (unitary method).

Answer = 280+420.

= 700.

Hari said: (Sep 5, 2013)  
40/100*x+420 = x.

40x+42000 = 100x.

42000 = 60x.

700 = x.

Rahul said: (Sep 10, 2013)  
Let the no.of the apples be x.

40% of x = 0.4x.

x - 0.4x = 420.

x(1-0.4) = 420.

x = 420/0.6.

x = 700.

Peter said: (Oct 1, 2013)  
Remaining apple = 60%.

60% = 420.

100% = ?

So, (100*420)/60 = 700.

Jenda Fayaz said: (Jan 3, 2014)  
He had 100% apples.

He sold 40%, Remaining 60% = 420 apples.

100% = 420/60*100 = 720.

Krishnappa .G said: (Feb 17, 2014)  
Guys lets take Total Fruits % is 100.

We know remaining number of fruits = 420 ---> 60%.
? ---> 40%.

Simply do cross multiplication 60*? = 420*40.
? = (420*40)/60.
? = 280.

Total no.of Fruits 280+420 = 700.

Chetana said: (Mar 14, 2014)  
Take total fruits as X.

Total fruits sold 40%.

Remaining is 60 ie 420 which is giver in the question,

Now 60%can be written as 60/100.
And,

60% of x which is total fruit can be written as 60/100*x.
Which is equal to 420.

So we can write,
60/100*x = 420.

We want total fruits means we want a value of x here,

x = 420*100/60.
= 42000/60.
= 4200/6.
x = 700.

Atul said: (Apr 21, 2014)  
Short and simple.
Suppose total no.of oranges X.

So, % of oranges sold.

40% of x = 40X/100...........(1).

And given that 420 oranges are still remaining so,

The oranges sold = x-420 .......(2).
X*40/100= x-420.

From equation 1 & 2.

40X/100 = X-420.

40X= 100X-420,00.

420,00 = 60X.

X = 420,00/60.

X = 700 oranges.

Mudassir said: (Jun 20, 2014)  
If we found the 40% of apple and the adding to the 60% we will get the 100%.

40% sold out.

Therefore remaining 60%=420.

For 60--420.
Then for 40--??

Therefore 40*420/60=280 .
Therefore 40% is 280.

We already have 60% i.e. 420.
420+280=700.

Amit Kumar Singh said: (Aug 2, 2014)  
40%-------- X.
60%--------420.

X = 420*40/60.
= 280 .
= 280 + 420 = 700.

Narayana Rao Gartam said: (Aug 7, 2014)  
In sum, we know after selling of 40%, 420 were left. so,
60% is 420 apples.

To know value of 1% : 420/60 = 7.

Now we got value of 1%, then 100% * 7 = 700.

Finally total apples are :700.

Sravani said: (Aug 14, 2014)  
@Aparna.

You wrote 46 instead of 36 yaar, that's why you got wrong answer.

Sravani said: (Aug 14, 2014)  
@Nikky.

Hey, in your equation two unknowns are present. It is impossible to solve, you should know two values to solve that. Please check your equation once.

Sreekanth said: (Oct 22, 2014)  
Let us consider a total apples X.

Seller sells 40% of apples out of 100 apples (generally).

Remaining apples 420.

Then (100-40)%X = 420.

40%X = 420.

60/100*X = 420.

3/5X = 420;

X = 420*5/3;

X = 700.

Shekhar said: (Nov 10, 2014)  
(60/100)x = 420.

Therefore, x = 420*100/60 = 700.

Vijaynandan said: (Feb 27, 2015)  
Total apples = x.

Remaining apples = 420.

Sold = 40%, unsold = 60%.

According to formula = (420/x)*100 = 420.

Then x = 700.

Rakesh Sharma said: (Mar 13, 2015)  
Let total apple = 100 unit.
Sell = 40 unit.

Remaining = 100-40 = 60 unit.
Remaining apple = 420.

60 unit value = 420.
1 unit value = 420/60 = 70.

1 unit apple = 70.
100 unit apple = 100*70 = 700 apples.

Basu said: (Mar 16, 2015)  
If Original apple is 'x'.

100%-40% = 60%apple is 420 apple.

So x = 420/60 = 7 apple is per 1%.

Then 100% apple is = 7*100 = 700 apple.

Kanhai Marndi said: (May 20, 2015)  
In simple way.

Question given to us-:

Fruit seller sales 40% apples & remaining he has 420 apples that is (100-40)60%.

There is need to find out 1% apples=?

Hence 1% apples = 7 apples (420/60).

So 40% apples = 280 apples (40x7).

Hence total apples = 700 apples (280+420).

Ankit Neema said: (Jun 28, 2015)  
Apple sold 40%.

So remaining apple = 100-40.

So, 60% and given in question that

60% = 420.
60/100 = 420.

So result is = 700 apple.

Aruun said: (Jul 15, 2015)  
Easy way this type of questions.

100%-40% = 60%.

60%-420.

100%-?

When 100*420/60 = 700 answer.

Shubham Ladase said: (Aug 20, 2015)  
Let total apple be 'x'.

x*60/100 = 420.

x = 420*100/600 = 700.

Yash said: (Sep 13, 2015)  
40% sell and 40/100*700 = 280.

Er. Mantu Suna said: (Nov 19, 2015)  
40% sale.

100% = ?
60% = 420.

1% = 420/60.
1% = 7.

So 100% = 7*100.
100% = 700.

Rakesh said: (Feb 1, 2016)  
So he left with 60% apple which are 420.

60% = 420.

1% = 420/60.

100% = 420/60*100 = 700 answer.

Nikita said: (Apr 28, 2016)  
APPLES SOLD = 40%

SO REMAINING APPLES = 60%

60% of 420 then 100% of ?

So, 100*420/(60)

ANS: 700 APPLES

Naveena said: (Jul 2, 2016)  
Suppose.

Assume sum=100% of x apples.
Already he sells off 40% x apples.
Then we have to do (100 - 40) % of x = 60% of x.
Now 60/100 of x = 420 (when and/is given we have to take '=' operator).

3/5 of x =420.
3x =420 * 5
3x =2100.
x =700.

Raghu said: (Aug 4, 2016)  
Please, can anyone solve this?

A Person buys some bananas for some cost. Another person bought same bananas with 40% discount. After 40% discount, he got 60 bananas more than first one. Then how much cost for dozen bananas?

Aditya said: (Aug 7, 2016)  
Good explanation & method @Ramesh.

Sachin said: (Aug 28, 2016)  
x - (x * 40%) = 420.

And you will get the value of x.

Niharika said: (Sep 3, 2016)  
Can anyone explain me shortly?

Anu Parsa said: (Sep 4, 2016)  
Here we can easy to find the answer by options.

40% of apples are sold in total apples.

60% apples are left so,

By options.

D. 700.

Then 60% of 700 = 420.

Here the total apples are 700.

Uday said: (Sep 13, 2016)  
According to options, consider there was 1000 applies originally.

40% sold means, in 1000 apples 400 were sold remaining 600 apples.
But given 420 apples remaining.
So 420 * 1000/600 = 700 apples are there totally.

Lipsa said: (Oct 22, 2016)  
Then why the % of 420/700 becomes 60% instead of 40%?

Satish said: (Nov 21, 2016)  
x * 60 ÷ 100 = 420.
x =700.

Meraj Alam said: (Dec 10, 2016)  
60% = 420,
1% = 7,
So
100% = 700 ans.

Mohan said: (Dec 19, 2016)  
He sells 40% then from 100% u will have remaining 60%. That 60% = 420app.
So, 60% = 420
10% = 42
40% = 42 * 4 = 168
Total app = 60% + 40%
= 168 + 420
= 588apples.

So, option A is the correct answer.

Farhana said: (Dec 21, 2016)  
He sold 40% means remaining 60%.

So divide 420 with 60 as,

420/60 * 100,
70 * 10 = 700.

Narendra.Nikk said: (Feb 3, 2017)  
420/60 = 7.
40 * 7 = 280,
280 + 420 = 700.

Pushpanjali said: (Feb 5, 2017)  
They had given indirectly for 60,.. = 420 Apples.
Then we have to find for 100, ....=x.
Soln: cross multiplication : x = (420 * 100)/60.
Ans = 700.

Pavan Gupta said: (Feb 12, 2017)  
They had given directly for 420 apples.

I agree @Narendra.

Sozharajan. B said: (Mar 20, 2017)  
(40/100) * total = x,
total = 420+x, (40/100)*(420+x) = x, 100x=40x+16800, x=280.

Total Apple = 420 + 280 = 700.

Ramesh Kannnan said: (Apr 14, 2017)  
420 apple is 60%.
So divide it by 6 420%6=70 then balance 40% 70 * 4=280.

280 + 420 = 700.

Ansari said: (Jun 19, 2017)  
Let Total apple = x.
x of 40% + 420 = x,
2x/5+420=x,
5x = 2x+2100,
3x = 2100,
x = 700.

Kamal Joshi said: (Jul 14, 2017)  
Let total apple = 100%.
apple sold = 40%,
remaining apple =60%,
apple remain = 420,
so, 60% = 420.
100%= 420 * 100/60 = 700 .
Total apple =700.

Ayaz said: (Jul 26, 2017)  
Here,
100-40=60%
Hence, the correct option should be whose 60% is 420 and 700*(60/100)=420.

Debraj Roy said: (Jul 27, 2017)  
60% ---------------------> 420,
1% ----------------------> 420/60,
100% ------------------> (420/60)X100=700.

Dhanush Raj said: (Aug 17, 2017)  
420 apples are 60% of apples that are left and the amount of apples he sold are 40%.

Then if we want to know the total number of apples he had, then 10% of 420 is 70 and 100% is 700.

Sukumar said: (Aug 23, 2017)  
700 is the right answer.

Sathish said: (Sep 21, 2017)  
420/60*100.

Answer 700.

Prakash Jha said: (Nov 12, 2017)  
Remaining 60 percent = 420.
So, 20 percent = 14.
So, 100 percent = 700.

Jai said: (Dec 11, 2017)  
Let the Original is X.
sold 40% then 100%-40%=60%.
Still, he has 420 apples.

X=420/60*100
=420/6*10
=4200/6
X =700.

Jai said: (Dec 11, 2017)  
100%-40%=60%,
= (420/60)*100,
= (7)*100,
= 700.

Lopamudra said: (Dec 24, 2017)  
60% =420,
1%=420/60.
100%=420*100/60=700.

Jones said: (Jan 5, 2018)  
60% =420 apples is there so.
40%= ? How many apples he sold?

Do cross multiple
You will get 280 apples he would have sold.
So, 280+420=700 apples.

Manju said: (Jan 24, 2018)  
He had X apples.
So,
X-40/100(40%)=420.
X=700 this method is so simple.

Shrishail said: (Jan 27, 2018)  
Can we do like this?

40%x+420=x
(40/100)x+420=x
420=x-(2/5)x
2100=3x
x=700.

Kate said: (Mar 2, 2018)  
It's as simple
Sell 40% so remaining is 60% and we have remaining apples in number is 420. then cross multiply
40% = ?
6% = 420
40% * 420 /60%
= 280
.
Then add remaining apples + sell apples.
280 + 430 = 700.

Sandeep said: (May 10, 2018)  
Since it has given 40% of apple sold and remaining is 420 apple.
So, let's consider a total number of apple X and 40% of apple =X-420.
now, we could write 40% of X = X-420.
X = 420/.6 = 700 apples.

Bishnu said: (May 25, 2018)  
60% apple is remaining thus;
420/0.6= 700.

Bhyri Ajay said: (Jul 9, 2018)  
(45/100)x+(30/100)90 = (30/100)210.
x 45/100+2700/100 = 6300/100.
x 45/100 = 63-27.
x 45/100 = 36.
x = 36*100/45.
x = 80.

Navithachityala said: (Aug 13, 2018)  
Let assume total 100%.
He sells 40% of apples.
So, he has remaining apples=100-40 = 60%.

In the question, they already given remaining apples are 420.

So, 60%-------420
100%-------x??.

x= 100 * 420/60.
x=700.

Saran Mysker said: (Sep 13, 2018)  
Let,

60% : 420.
100% : x.

Now cross multiply it, we get;
100 * 420 = 60 * x.
then,
42000/60=x.
so, x= 700.

Vamshi Dharmarapu said: (Sep 19, 2018)  
See 60% of apples remaining, which is equal to = 420,
IF 60% ------ 420 , then
40% ------ ?

40 x 420/60 = 280.
Finally 420+280 = 700 Apples.

Anomie said: (Oct 11, 2018)  
As per my solution.

Total 100% = 40% sold + 60% remaining (420).
= 420/60 = 7.
1% = 7.
100% = 700.

Ganesh said: (Nov 20, 2018)  
If already sell 40% then remain 60% = 420 apples.
If 60*7 = 420.
Then 100*7= ?
And the Answer is 700.

Yogesh Kumar said: (Dec 10, 2018)  
Total sold =40% =2/5.
Total remaining = 60% = 3/5 =420.
If, is 140.
So, 5 is 700.

Srinidhi A said: (Jan 20, 2019)  
Total sold = 40% , 60% remaining.

Remaining is 420 apples.
Let us calculate for 1% how many apples we will get 420/60 = 7.
we will get 7 apples for 1%.
so for 40% it is 40 * 7 = 280.
Total apples, in the beginning, = (280+420).
= 700 apples.

Rana Sajid said: (Jan 22, 2019)  
Let x be the apple.

Sold apple x * 40/100 = 2x/5.
Left 420.
Eq is;
Tototal = sale + left.
X= 2x/5 + 420.

Nitish said: (Jan 30, 2019)  
@Sonu.

The answer is 80.

45% of 80 is 36 & 30% of 90 is 27 which is equal to 63, nothing but 30% of 210.

T. Abhishek said: (Feb 27, 2019)  
The answer is 700.
100-40 = xx420,
60 ÷ 100 = 420,
420 * 100 ÷ 60=700.

Prashant Singh Pundir said: (Mar 18, 2019)  
40% = 2/5.

Simply we have total no of apples = 5.
Now according to Qs
Sell-2 ; unsell= 5-2 = 3.

As we know 420 apples are still unsold so 420/3=140; 140 is a unit of one apple.
140*2 = 280 sell apples.
So, 280 + 420 = 700.

Prasoon Mishra said: (Mar 19, 2019)  
60% = 420.
1% = 420/60
100% (pure apple) = (420/60) * 100,
= 700 ans.

Muskan said: (Mar 28, 2019)  
Simply, the solution is;

100 - 40 % of x = 420,
60/100*X = 420.
X = 420 * 100/60 = 700.

Akshita said: (Jun 10, 2019)  
@Aparna.

It should be;
45x/100 +(30*90/100) = 30*210/100,
45x+(30*90) = 30*210,
45x = 30(210-90),
9x = 6*120,
X = 80.

Harshit Jain said: (Jun 13, 2019)  
If you want to save your time in examination, you can just solve it by look at the options given,
There is 700 is available in option so take 40% of 700, which is 280, now.
700-280=420 (apples left).
So, originally fruit seller had 700 apples.

Post your comments here:

Name *:

Email   : (optional)

» Your comments will be displayed only after manual approval.