Discussion :: Data Sufficiency - Section 1 (Q.No.49)
In each of the questions below consists of a question and two statements numbered I and II given below it. You have to decide whether the data provided in the statements are sufficient to answer the question. Read both the statements and
- (A) If the data in statement I alone are sufficient to answer the question, while the data in statement II alone are not sufficient to answer the question
- (B) If the data in statement II alone are sufficient to answer the question, while the data in statement I alone are not sufficient to answer the question
- (C) If the data either in statement I alone or in statement II alone are sufficient to answer the question
- (D) If the data given in both statements I and II together are not sufficient to answer the question and
- (E) If the data in both statements I and II together are necessary to answer the question.
|Louis, Hong Kong said: (May 20, 2011)|
|According to Statement 1, "C" can either be the heaviest or the lightest, we can't conclude whether "A", "D" or "C"is the heaviest, so the information of Statement 1 is not sufficient enough. But with the details provided in Statement 2, "C" is heavier than "A" and "D", therefore, I think the answer should be [E], not [A].|
|Sundar said: (May 20, 2011)|
I thought you were right at initially, but not actually.
Let me explain.
Split the first statement as given below:
a. A and D are heavier than B, E and F
b. but none of them is the heaviest.
From a, A & D are heavier than B, E, F. So we can ignore B, E, F. Now remaining are A,D and C.
From b(none of them heaviest), denotes that either A or D is not heaviest.
Now, only C left. Therefore C is heaviest.
Hence, "I alone is sufficient while II alone is not sufficient" is the correct answer.
|Sat120 said: (Sep 4, 2016)|
|@Sundar here you are using the 2nd statement for the answer so, how the correct option is A.
The answer should be E.
|Marvin said: (Feb 23, 2020)|
|@Sat120 b. Is not the second statement, its just second half of first statement.|
Post your comments here:
Email : (optional)
» Your comments will be displayed only after manual approval.