TCS PAPER - 29 DEC 2007 - HYDERABAD
VERBAL SECTION (1-20)
Read the following Passage and select the best answer to questions(1-4) among the given choices
Routines are the unreturned algorithms followed by each one of us, every in life. Routine is a chain of events, which never changes there order once it is prioritized. Following the routine is a schedule of events. For a student it would it be assignments, attending schools, coaching classes or doing a Project. For the business man, brandishing the tiniest mobile phone and shielded by the doctor than black shade of Mercedes, schedule is restricted to attend meetings, presentations and entertaining new Prospective clients.
Sometimes life begins so hectic that you feel as if you are the only person who is working harder than all others. Such type of thoughts comes to us due to thinking about ourselves. Others may be facing the same shade of destiny as you, but you think there are luckier than you. Yes, the grass on the other side is always greener and fresher.
Maintaining your cool, at the times of the difficulty and in spite of hectic-schedules is the key to a bright career and success in life. Because, unless we ourselves change the pace with the change in times and keep ourselves abreast of the latest time table of our organizer, we will lag behind.
The more the things one has to do or one is into, more is his involvement in a mental, physical or social way into these things. Due to this his own personal problems are out of sight because, all time his mind is thinking of completing the task undertaking problems which are out of sight are out of mind.
Each thing that we do adds to our personality. It shapes our thinking and makes us more organized, experienced knowledgeable and creative. The time and effort that we put in every day into tasks is the brick and mortar of our future life. So friends, it is always better to be busy rater then idle. Hasn't everyone heard that an idle mind is the devils work shop? Behind every successful man is a devotedly followed schedule.
1) The author of the passage is of the opinion that
a. The world is merciless to a few persons
b. Behind every successful there is a women
c. All other people seem to be luckier than the author
d. We must keep cool even in difficult times
2) What is the general observation about human nature that the writer makes?
a. People generally hate to be tied to a schedule or routine
b. People generally feel that they can progress by following a schedule
c. People feel that they alone are overburdened and being treated crudely
d. People follow routines happily because they require less effort.
3) According to the above passage, we must
a. Not involve ourselves too much in the work that we do
b. Avoid keeping hectic schedules because they must harm our body.
c. Be loathing to put time and sweet into our bodies.
d. Run neck and neck with God's timetable less we lag behind.
4) The result of many things we do results in-
a. Enhancing our personality
b. Bettering our organizational and creative ability
c. Giving us knowledge and experience
d. All the above
5) From the following sets of words, choose the word correctly spelt
a. Accomodate b. Acommodate c. Accommodate d. Accommodate
6) Select the option that gives the correct meaning of the given idiomatic expression or phrase. "A rising star"
a. A star that rises the highest in the sky
b. A star which shines the most.
c. A person coming into prominence
d. A star that appears only once in a month.
7) Select among the given choices the word or phrase for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole. The recent nuclear threat is the _________ of 12 years of terrorist attacks, which have inflicted on us more casualties both military and civilian than Iraq did on Kuwait
a. Culmination b. Reflection c. Dogma d. Defiance
8) Select the option that can be substituted the given sentence
a. Condolence b. Calumny c. Obituary d. Corrigendum
9) Given below are sentences which when arranged logically form a coherent passage? Choose the given option which gives the correct sequence.
A) The alternative was a blitz by the health workers to popularize preventive measures.
B) The information was considered inadequate.
C) People have been reading about AIDS in the mass media
D) Nobody is sure as to low effective this would be.
E) People were also not being influenced enough to take preventive measures.
a. CBADE b. ABCDE c. BACDE d. CDABE
10) chose the lettered pair that express a relationship most similar to the relationship expressed in the capitalized pair HOBBLE ::WALK
a. Gallop ::Run b. Stammer::Speak
c. Stumble::Fall d. Sniff::Smell
11) Select among the given choices the word or phrase for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole. While there is hope in the one-day game, where Indian team has at last cast aside the chains of________________thought, there is a very long journey to make in Test cricket
a. Delinguent b. Delirious c. Decadent d. Disruptive
12) Select among the given choices the word or phrase to replace the underlined phrase ion the following sentence Our departure from this place from now depends on they coming here.
a. Depends on them coming here
b. Depends on their coming here
c. Depend on their's coming here
d. Depends on their's coming here
13) Choose the lettered pair that express relationship most similar to the relationship expressed in the capitalized pair. FRAYED::FABRIC
a. Thawed::Ice b. Renovated::Building
c. Frazzled::Nerves d. Watered::Lawn
14) Select the option that gives the correct meaning of the given idiomatic expression or phrase "To wash one's hand off"
a. To wash one's hand with water
b. To wash one's hand with soap
c. To disclaim the entire responsibility
d. To put one's firm in trouble
15) Given below are sentences which when arranged logically from a coherent passage. Choose the given option which gives the correct sequence.
A) What is amazing is that resending of decisions does not seem to be one bit embarrass the government.
B) "Rollback" appears to have now became an institutionalized decision making process of the government
C) This is the certainly suggested by the frequency on prices and subsidies are announced and them the status quo restored in part or in full.
D) It has well and truly functioning an integral part of the functioning of the government.
E) Even the word, "Rollback", has became a permanent entry lexicon of political discourse.
a. ABCDE b. BCADE c. BCDAE d. EBDCA
16) Choose the lettered pair that expresses relationship most similar to the relationship expressed in the capitalized pair. LACHRYMOSE::TEARS
a. Effusive::requests b. Ironic::jests
c. Morose::speeches d. Verbose::words
17) Select among the given choices that is most nearly opposite word "AUTONOMY"
a. submissiveness b. dependence c. subordination d. slavery
18) Select among the given choices that is most nearly similar word "OCCULT"
a. Dreadful b. Harmless c. Amazing d. Mysterious
19) Given below are words three of which belong to same category. Find the word which does not belong to that category
a. Convulse b. Soothe c. Compose d. Assuage
20) One of the words each set of four words is misspell. Choose the misspell word.
a. Effeminate b. Endeavour c. Exhilaration d. Exhaustion
ANALYTICAL SECTION (21-40)
21) Ashok bought 16kg of wheat at the rate of Rs 11.50 per kg and 14 kg wheat at rate of Rs 14.50 per kg. He mixed the two and sold the mixture at the rate of 13.50 kg. What is his gain in the transaction ?
a) Rs 16 b) Rs 18 c) Rs 24 d) Rs 28
22) What is the probability of answering a multiple choice question correctly, If you know that one of the answer if definitely wrong but you have to guess between the 3 remaining answers?
a) 1/4 b) 3/4 c) 1/2 d) 1/3
23) What should come in place of question mark (?) in the following number series?
66, 132, 792, ?
a. 1584 b. 2376 c. 1246 d. 2674
24) The difference between two numbers is one-seventh of the sum of these numbers two numbers. What is the ratio of the two numbers?
a. 3:4 b. 4:3 c. 2:3 d. 3:2
25) On return from a business trip Mr. Chidambaram was to be picked up from the railway station by his coachman. Someone he managed a train connection earlier and thus arrived two hours too early. Immediately on arrived he rang up home for the coach and was told that it had just left in order to be exactly in time for the train by which he was scheduled to come. To save the time he started walking homeward at 3kmph. On the way he met the coachman who brought him home an hour before schedule. How far is the Mr. Chidambaram's house from the railway station?
a. 12 Km b. 15 Km c. 18 Km d. 23 Km
26) A train travelled from Delhi to Patna and back in a certain time at the rate of 60kmph.But if the train had travelled from Delhi to Patna at rate of rate 80Kmph. And back from Patna to Delhi at the rate of 40Kmph. It would take two hours Longer. Find the distance between Delhi and Patna?
a. 480Km b. 460Km c. 450Km d. 465Km
27) On a certain pasture the grass grows at an even rate. It knows that 40 cows can graze on it for 40 days before the grass is exhausted, but 30 cows can graze there as long as 60 days. How many would the pasture last if 20 Cows were to graze on it?
a. 140days b. 100 days c. 110 days d. 120 days
28) Most people in the United States view both neither big nor small business as particulary efficient or dynamic and regard both as providing consumers with fairly priced goods and services. However, most people consistently perceive small business as a force for good in Society, whereas bid business is perceived as socially responsible only in times of prosperity. The statement above, if true, would provide the strongest support for which one of the following hypotheses?
a. Most of the people in the United states give little thought to the value of business to society.
b. If small business were regarded as being more dynamic, it, too, would receive strongly favorable ratings only in times of general prosperity.
c. Many people in the united states regard the social responsibility of big business as extending beyond providing consumers with fairly priced goods and services.
d. Even if people did not regard big business as providing consumers with value for their money, they would still regard it as socially responsible in times of general prosperity.
29) In the first innings of the First Test match between India and West Indians at Sabina Park, Kingston. February 18 to 23 1971, the bowling honors' in the Indians team were shared by B.S.Bedi, E.A.S. Prasanna and S.Venkataraghavan. Can you, based on the following statements, conclude the number of wickets each took?
1) Either Bedi took 5 wickets and S.Venkataraghavan took 3, or Prasanna took one more than S.Venkataraghavan.
2) Either Bedi took half the wickets or one of the players was run out.
3) The sum of Bedi's victims and double those of prasanna is one more than three times Venkataraghavan's.
a) Bedi-2, Prasanna-4, and Venkataraghavan-3
b) Bedi-3, Prasanna-4, and Venkataraghavan-2
c) Bedi-2, Prasanna-4, and Venkataraghavan-4
d) Bedi-2, Prasanna-5, and Venkataraghavan-3
30) The Basic College Council is made up of representatives from the departments in the various divisions. From the science Division is one representative from each of the departments of chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology. The social Science Division provides a representative each History, Linguistics, and Economics. A representative from Philosophy and one from Rhetoric serve for the Humanities Division
All Council Committees are made up entirely of Council members.
Each Committee has exactly four members.
Each Committee has at least one member from each Division.
The representative from chemistry will not serve on a Committee with the representative from Biology. The representatives from Mathematics and Economics always serve on the same Committees. The representative from Rhetoric will only serve on a Committee on which the representative from Biology or the one from Economics, or both, serve.
a. Chemistry, Mathematics, History, Economics
b. Chemistry, Mathematics, History, Philosophy
c. Biology, History, Economics, Rhetoric
d. Mathematics, Biology, Economics, Rhetoric
31) A train leaves New York City at 7.15 Am and arrives in Buffalo at 2.47 that afternoon. What total length of time does the trip take?
a. 6hrs, 28mins b. 7hrs, 12mins
c. 7hrs, 32mins d. 8hrs, 12mins
32) After several attempts to district his young parrot from Chewing on furniture, George reluctantly took an expert's advice and gently hit the parrot's beak whenever the bird started to chew furniture, The bird stopped chewing furniture, but it is now afraid of hands and will sometimes bite. Since Chewing on the furniture would not have hurt the bird, George should not have hit it.
When Carla's puppy escaped from her yard, it bounded into a busy street. Although Carla does not generally approve of physical discipline, she hit the puppy sharply with her hand. Now the puppy enters the street only when accompanied by Carla, so, Carla was justified in disciplining the puppy.
Which one of the following principles, if established, would justify the judgments about George's and Carla's actions?
a. When disciplining an animal physically, a trainer should use an object such as a rolled up newspapers to avoid making the animal frightened of hands.
b. When training an animal, physical discipline should be used only when such discipline is necessary to correct behavior that could result in serious harm to the animal.
c. Using physical discipline to train an animal is justified only when all alternative strategies for the correcting undesirable behavior have failed.
d. Physical discipline should not be used on immature animals.
33) In a Conventional Clock, how many times does the minutes hand pass the hour hand between noon and midnight?
a. 8 times b. 10 times c. 12 times d. 15 times
34) If 24+35=28, 15+49=24, and 69+37=50 then 27+48=?
a. 27 b. 36 c. 48 d. 59
35) Its not easy having a mathematics professor as a friend. When she invited you to her house she says, "All the houses on my side of the street are numbered consecutively in even numbers. There are Six houses on my Side of my block and sum of their numbers is 9870. You don't know which block I live on, and it's a long street, but I will tell you that I live in the lowest number on my side of the block. What's the number? Or are you just going to ring the first- numbered doorbell for twenty blocks?
a. 1580 b. 1640 c. 1650 d. 1680
36) The time to complete a standardized exam is approximately normal with a mean of 70 minutes and a standard deviation of 10 minutes. Suppose the students are given 1 hour to complete the exam. The proportion of students who don't complete the exam is
a. 0.500 b. 0.159 c. 0.341 d. 0.841
37) Rajesh brought a TV priced at Rs 2000. He was given two Successive discounts of 10 and 5 percent. If he has to pay percent sales tax, the net amount he paid was
a. Rs 2663.40 b. Rs 2660 c. Rs 2350 d. Rs 2460
38) A drawer contains a number of Red and Blue socks. If I pull two out of random, then the chance of them being a Red pair is a half and chance of them being a blue pair is a twelfth. How many socks are in the drawer?
a. 120 b. 140 c. 150 d. 160
39) A Clock strikes every hour-once at 1.00, twice at 2.00, and so on. The clock takes 6 seconds to strike 5.00 and 12 seconds to strike 9.00. the time needed to strike 1.00 is negligible. How long does the clock need for all its striking in 24hours?
a. 168 Secs b. 178 Secs c. 188 Secs d. 198 Secs
40) Grandpa was feeling generous, so he gave a total of Rs 100 to his Five grandchildren. Starting with the Youngest each got Rs 2.00 more than the next Younger one. In Other words, the youngest got one sum, the next got Rs 2.00 more, and so on. How much did the Youngest Grandchild get?
a. 14 b. 15 c. 16 d. 17
TECHNICAL SECTION (41-50)
41) Which of the following is not associated with magnetic memory?
a. Sector b. Pit c. Track d. All of these
a. IT services Industry body
b. Manufacturing Industry body
c. Infrastructure Industry body
d. None of the above
43) Which of the following is not a codec
a. DiVX b. EVid c. FLAC d. XviD
44) Which of the following Chipmaker has designed Athlon?
a. Intel b. Freescale c. AMD d. IBM
45) Which of the following is a formatted input function in ‘C'
a. getchar() b. getche() c. gets() d. None of these
46) Rank the following 4 items in terms of access speed:
1. Main Memory
2. Magnetic Disk
a. 1,2,3,4 b. 1,3,4,2 c. 3,4,1,2 d. 3,1,4,2
47) What kind of a structure is a queue?
a. First in First out
b. First in last out
c. First in middle out
d. First in second last
48) A Jazz drive is a separate drive. What is the storage space of Jazz drive
a. 100KB b. 20-40 GB c. 1-2 GB d. 650 MB
49) Which of the following is doesn't affect resolution of a video Display image?
b. Raster Scan rate
c. Vertical and Horizontal lines of resolution
d. Screen size
50) Which of the following statement are applicable to LINUX?
i. Multi-User and Multi-Tasking
ii. Open Source OS
iii. Developed at AT&T's Bell Laboratory, USA
a. (i) only b. (ii) only c. Both (i) and (ii) d. (i), (ii) and (iii)
3i Infotech - AAI - ABACUS - ABB - Accel Frontline - Accenture - Aditi - Adobe - ADP - Agreeya - Akamai - Alcatel Lucent - Allfon - Alumnus - Amazon - Amdocs - AMI - Andhra Bank - AppLabs - Apps Associates - Aricent - Ashok Leyland - Aspire - Atos Origin - Axes - Bajaj - Bank of Maharashtra - BEL - BEML - BHEL - BirlaSoft - Blue Dart - Blue Star - BOB - BPCL - BPL - Brakes - BSNL - C-DOT - Cadence - Calsoft - Canara Bank - Canarys - Capgemini - Caritor - Caterpillar - CDAC - CGI - Changepond - Ciena - Cisco - Citicorp - CMC - Consagous - Convergys - CORDYS - Crompton - CSC - CTS - Cummins - Dell - Deloitte - Delphi-TVS - DeShaw - Deutsche - Dotcom - DRDO - EDS - EIL - ELGI - ELICO - ERICSSON - Essar - Fidelity - Flextronics - Freescale - FXLabs - GAIL - GE - Genpact - Geodesic - Geometric - Globaledge - GlobalLogic - Godrej - Google - Grapecity - HAL - HCL - Hexaware - Honeywell - HP - HPCL - HSBC - Huawei - Hughes - IBM - IBS - ICICI - iGate - Impetus - iNautix - Indian Airforce - Indian Airlines - Infosys - Infotech - Intec - Integra - Intergraph - IOCL - iSOFT - ISRO - Ittiam - JSW - Keane - Kenexa - L & T - L & T Infotech - LG Soft - Lifetree - LionBridge - Mahindra Satyam - Mastek - Maveric - McAfee - MECON - Microsoft - MindTree - Miraclesoft - Mistral - Motorola - Mphasis - MTNL - NIC - Nokia Siemens - Novell - NTPC - Nucleus - ORACLE - Patni - Perot - Polaris - Ramco - Robert Bosch - Samsung - SAP - Sapient - Sasken - SBI - Sierra Atlantic - Sonata - Sony India - Sutherland - Syntel - TCS - Tech Mahindra - VeriFone - Virtusa - Wipro - Zensar.