Mechanical Engineering - Workshop Technology - Discussion


The fullers are used

[A]. for finishing flat surfaces
[B]. for necking down a piece of work
[C]. for punching a hole
[D]. to finish the punched hole

Answer: Option B


No answer description available for this question.

Jitendra said: (Sep 27, 2013)  
In metalworking, a fuller is a tool used to form metal when hot. The fuller has a rounded, either cylindrical or parabolic, nose, and may either have a handle (an "upper fuller") or a shank (a "lower fuller"). The shank of the lower fuller allows the fuller to be inserted into the hardy hole of the anvil. Upper fullers furthermore come in "straight" or "cross" varieties, depending on the orientation of the handle relative to the face.

The fuller is used mainly to spread the metal. The fuller is placed against the metal stock, and then either the fuller (for an upper fuller) or the stock (for a lower fuller) is struck with a hammer. The rounded nose of the fuller spreads the metal more efficiently than the flat face of the hammer. The process leaves ridges in the stock, which may then be flattened out later with the hammer or other tools.

Sidhant Prabhakar said: (Aug 2, 2015)  
Fullering and caulking are used to prevent leakage in trivets.

Harisankar said: (Jun 22, 2017)  
Fullering and caulking are used to prevent oil and fluid leakage in rivets

Post your comments here:

Name *:

Email   : (optional)

» Your comments will be displayed only after manual approval.