Logical Reasoning - Course of Action - Discussion
In each question below is given a statement followed by two courses of action numbered I and II. You have to assume everything in the statement to be true and on the basis of the information given in the statement, decide which of the suggested courses of action logically follow(s) for pursuing.
- (A) If only I follows
- (B) If only II follows
- (C) If either I or II follows
- (D) If neither I nor II follows
- (E) If both I and II follow.
Statement: Four districts in State A have been experiencing severe drought for the last three years resulting into exodus of people from these districts.
Courses of Action:
- The government should immediately start food for work programme in the district to put a halt to the exodus.
- The government should make since efforts to provide drinking/potable water to these districts
The status of jobs and living conditions other than the fact that there is no water is not explicit enough. If they're leaving because of the drought then they'll stay if there's water.
Correct answer: b.
1. It is never stated that food is short, only water. Perhaps food is widely available in the region with water conservative crops and other methods of sustainable farming.
2. DRINKING water scarcity is not mentioned, just drought in those 4 districts. How can anything be assumed if not mentioned?
If we are to consider a statement to be true, we must necessarily only think about that one sentence and not imagine other problems. This is not logical, atleast.