Logical Reasoning - Course of Action - Discussion
In each question below is given a statement followed by two courses of action numbered I and II. You have to assume everything in the statement to be true and on the basis of the information given in the statement, decide which of the suggested courses of action logically follow(s) for pursuing.
- (A) If only I follows
- (B) If only II follows
- (C) If either I or II follows
- (D) If neither I nor II follows
- (E) If both I and II follow.
Statement: A large number of people in ward X of the city are diagnosed to be suffering from a fatal malaria type.
Courses of Action:
- The city municipal authority should take immediate steps to carry out extensive fumigation in ward X.
- The people in the area should be advised to take steps to avoid mosquito bites.
- an organ transplant.
- a transfusion.
- use of shared needles or syringes.
So, I think the answer is A.
Here, They already have contracted malaria, there's hardly any sense to fumigate, also 2 can't follow as the problem is with people who have already contracted it.
I take it that fumigation is a method of killing mosquitoes using a gas. (I didn't know whether this was feasible while there were people in the area).
It's a bad question because it requires knowledge of malaria and mosquitoes, and therefore is not purely a logical reasoning test.
Also, if someone reasoned that neither action follows because the population reduction from malaria is desirable, they wouldn't be illogical - they just be a psychopath.