Civil Engineering - Strength of Materials - Discussion

Discussion Forum : Strength of Materials - Section 4 (Q.No. 34)
A long vertical member, subjected to an axial compressive load, is called
a column
a strut
a tie
a stanchion
all the above.
Answer: Option
No answer description is available. Let's discuss.
4 comments Page 1 of 1.

Debanjan Ghosh said:   5 years ago

Then it's called struts, because all columns are strut but all strust are not a column. The only vertical strut is called a column.

Prayash said:   7 years ago
You are right @Bikash.

Bikash Kabiraj said:   7 years ago
Strut subjected to an axial compressive force but it may be vertical, horizontal or inclined. When strut is vertical it is called column.

Ramotar said:   7 years ago
If it is not said that member is vertical then what is it strut or column?

Post your comments here:

Your comments will be displayed after verification.