TCS PAPER & INTERVIEW - 31 MAY 2008 - HYDERABAD
I m Soma Sekhar from JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY. my branch is CIVIL. I appeared in the campus placements organized by TCS held at JNTU University on 30 MAY TO 1ST JUNE 08. There was no sectional cut off, but what i felt was that for critical reasoning u must have to do at least one passage consisting of 4 questions correctly .
It was an online test which consisted of three sections:
2) Quantitative Aptitude.
3) Critical Reasoning.
VERBAL SECTION: It consisted of 10 antonyms, 10 synonyms and two passage in which you have to fill in the blanks with correct sentences. For antonyms do only the 5 model test papers & for synonyms prepare the exercises in the high freq. word list. Refer barrons 12th edition only.
It consisted of 38 questions 40 mins. Very easy. All previous year questions were repeated. Sometimes they don’t even change the data. I will suggest that go through all d previous yrs papers. Some questions which I remember are given below:
1. Exact power of 2?
Ans: 4096, Hint: 2^10=1024,2^12=1024*4=4096.
2 Find the result of the following expression if, M denotes modulus operation, R denotes round-off, T denotes truncation: M(373,5)+R(3.4)+T(7.7)+R(5.8)
3. What is the largest prime number that can be stored in a 9-bit memory?
4. Find the physical quantity in units from the equation: (Force*Distance)/(Velocity*Velocity)
5. Find the value of @@+25-++@16, where @ denotes "square" and + denotes "square root".
6. If G(0) = -1 G(1)= 1 and G(N)=G(N-1) - G(N-2) then what is the value of G(6)?
Ans: -1 bcoz g(2)=g(1)-g(0)=1+1=2 g(3)=1 g(4)=-1 g(5)=-2 g(6)=-1
7. Convert the decimal number 310 to the base 6.
8. Find the missing number in the series: 2, 5, __ , 19 ,37, 75
9. In a two-dimensional array, X(9,7), with each element occupying 8 bytes of memory, with the address of the first element X(1,1) is 3000, find the address of X(8,5)?
10. What's the answer for that if A, B and C are 8 bit no's. They are as follows: A -> 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 B -> 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 C -> 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 ( - =minus, u=union) Find ((A - C) u B) =?
Ans: 187, Hint: To find A-C, We will find 2's compliment of C and them add it with A, That will give us (A-C) 2's compliment of C=1's compliment of C+1=11000101+1=11000110 A-C=11000101+11000110=10001001 Now (A-C) U B is .OR. Logic operation on (A-C) & B 10001001 .OR . 00110011 The answer is = 10111011, Whose decimal equivalent is 187
11. Select the odd one out a. SMTP b.WAP c. SAP d. ARP
12. Select odd one- sql, db2, Sybase, http
13. Which of the following are orthogonal pairs? a. 3i+2j b.i+j c. 2i-3j d. -7i+j
Ans: a & c
14. Number of faces, vertices and edges of a solid planar cube.
a. 12,8,6 b.4,6,8 c. 6,8,12 d. 6,12,8
Ans: c , Hint: faces=6, vertices=no. of points or corners where edges meets=8, edges=12
15. A file is transferred from one location to another in 'buckets'. The size of the bucket is 10 kilobytes. Each bucket gets filled at the rate of 0.0001 kilobytes per millisecond. The transmission time from sender to receiver is 10 milliseconds per bucket. After the receipt of the bucket the receiver sends an acknowledgement that reaches sender in 100 milliseconds. Assuming no error during transmission, write a formula to calculate the time taken in seconds to successfully complete the transfer of a file of size N kilobytes.
Ans: (N/1000)*(N/10)*10+(N/100).........(not sure)
16. Which of the following is a singular matrix.
Ans: Determinant must be zero.
17. If Rs.1260 is divided between between A, B and C in the ratio 2:3:4, what is C's share?
Ans: Rs. 560
19. A graph was given. And equation of the curve was asked.
Ans: log 10x
20. In a city, temperature at noon varies according to -t^2/6 + 4t + 12, where t is elapsed time. Find the percentage change in temperature from 3pm. to 6 pm
Ans: In equation first put t=3, we will get 25.5... (1)
Now put t=6, we will get 42.........................(2)
So %change = ((42-25.5)/42)*100) =39.3
21. SURFW Code is translated as SHEET…..these kind of questions were there…..
22. 2 students get 3 and 3.5 in their class exam and 1.4 and 1.65 in final exam respectively. Wt might be the class marks of 3rd student who have got ‘0’ marks in final exam?
23.find the value of the 678 to the base 7.
24.find the result of following expression if M denotes modulus operation,R denotes round off,T-truncation: M(373,5)+R(3.4)+T(7.7)+R(5.8)
25. Three companies are working independently and receiving the savings 20%, 30%, 40%. If the companies work combinely, what will be their net savings?
Ans: suppose total income is 100 so amount x is getting is 80 y is 70 z =60 total=210 but total money is 300 300-210=90 so they are getting 90 rs less 90 is 30% of 300 so they r getting 30% discount
26. If n=10*18*38 which of the following is not an integer? a. n/40 b. n/90 c. n/72 d. n/35 Ans: (10*18*38)/35 is not an integer so ans = d (n/35) 28. The program size is N, the memory occupied by the program is 4000sqrt(N).if the program size is increased by 1%.then what is the percentage increase in memory,
27. which of the following has highest standard deviation?
A)5,0,5,0,5,0. b)5,5,5,5,5,5 c)5,5,5,5,0,5 d)-5,5,-5,5,-5,5
Ans: the formula for finding std.deviation is squre root of summation (x-(x bar))^2/n,where n is the no. of terms.
28. b,v,q,q,m,b,v,f,m,g,v,f ,f,v,f,m,b,v,f,b,g,d,v,f,a,m,v,f.v,f,f. How many v's are such that each v is followed by f next to it, if the f is not followed by f next to it?
29. A power unit is there by the bank of a river 900 mtr wide. a cable is made from unit to power plant opposite to that of the river and 3000 mtr away from the power unit. the cost of the cable below water rs 5/mtr.and cost of cable on the bank is rs 4/mtr.find the point where cable cut thru river.
There were 3 questions on vein diagram: some speak French, some speak English……. & 3 questions on bar graph…..For these type of questions r.s.agrawal is best.
This section consisted of 3 passages and 4 questions each (total 12 question). It was for 30 mins. All the questions were from 12 edition Barron’s . They don even change the data and the order of questions. They just cut copy paste from BARRONS 12 EDITION. Since it was online test for us so everyone had different set of questions. For this section I would suggest that do all the analytical passages, having 4 or more questions, from the 5 model test papers of Barron’s 12th edition. if u r not able to understand then just learn or mug up the answers. The passages that I got were:
1. First question was red and brown marriage group……
2. DELEGATES N SEATING.
3. day allotment fr Sanskrit n latin etc…Refer to baron`s 12TH EDITON.. GO THROUGH PREVIOUS Q.PPRS THEY R VERY USEFUL.
TECHNICAL AND HR INTERVIEW:
I had the technical & hr interview on the next day, in the evening around 6. My first question was tell about ur self. I m from civil engineering. N he then saw my hobbies n asked me to speak about ipl (cricket). Then after that he asked me to tell how gud i`m at "c". I said I was above avg.. so he asked me few question about "c" like
1) difference between break n continue statements
2) speak about while n do while statements
3) differentiate between stackc n queues.
I answered all these questions except there was a mistake in my answer for the first question. But I was confident all through that.then he asked me about linked lists. I said I was not gud at that. He was happy wit my presentation skills n communication skills n as expected I cleared my tr. As a part of the tr he asked me questions lik why tcs, why it. N I answered them condidently. Be prepared for these kind of questions.
Then it was HR time. My HR was very easy by god`s grace. He asked me to speak about positive attitude fr 2 mns as I wrote positive attitude as one of my qualities in my cv. Then we had a tlk abt common entrance test of our state n iit jee. N that was the end of my HR.
THE ONLY TRICK FOR FACING THE INTERVIEW IS BEING CONFIDENT. Jus have a pleasant smile on your face n if yu dnt knw the answers jus say it politely rather than bluffing.The results were announced late at night around 12.30.. n out of 560members from our university 230 got placed. N I was one of those.
My friends. Thanx to all of them…..the main thing is that just be confident and have a smile on your face. That is the secret to get through TCS
3i Infotech - AAI - ABACUS - ABB - Accel Frontline - Accenture - Aditi - Adobe - ADP - Agreeya - Akamai - Alcatel Lucent - Allfon - Alumnus - Amazon - Amdocs - AMI - Andhra Bank - AppLabs - Apps Associates - Aricent - Ashok Leyland - Aspire - Atos Origin - Axes - Bajaj - Bank of Maharashtra - BEL - BEML - BHEL - BirlaSoft - Blue Dart - Blue Star - BOB - BPCL - BPL - Brakes - BSNL - C-DOT - Cadence - Calsoft - Canara Bank - Canarys - Capgemini - Caritor - Caterpillar - CDAC - CGI - Changepond - Ciena - Cisco - Citicorp - CMC - Consagous - Convergys - CORDYS - Crompton - CSC - CTS - Cummins - Dell - Deloitte - Delphi-TVS - DeShaw - Deutsche - Dotcom - DRDO - EDS - EIL - ELGI - ELICO - ERICSSON - Essar - Fidelity - Flextronics - Freescale - FXLabs - GAIL - GE - Genpact - Geodesic - Geometric - Globaledge - GlobalLogic - Godrej - Google - Grapecity - HAL - HCL - Hexaware - Honeywell - HP - HPCL - HSBC - Huawei - Hughes - IBM - IBS - ICICI - iGate - Impetus - iNautix - Indian Airforce - Indian Airlines - Infosys - Infotech - Intec - Integra - Intergraph - IOCL - iSOFT - ISRO - Ittiam - JSW - Keane - Kenexa - L & T - L & T Infotech - LG Soft - Lifetree - LionBridge - Mahindra Satyam - Mastek - Maveric - McAfee - MECON - Microsoft - MindTree - Miraclesoft - Mistral - Motorola - Mphasis - MTNL - NIC - Nokia Siemens - Novell - NTPC - Nucleus - ORACLE - Patni - Perot - Polaris - Ramco - Robert Bosch - Samsung - SAP - Sapient - Sasken - SBI - Sierra Atlantic - Sonata - Sony India - Sutherland - Syntel - TCS - Tech Mahindra - VeriFone - Virtusa - Wipro - Zensar.