I am Hari Krishna from GMRIT, Rajam. TCS came to our campus and conducting interviews on 21st May 2008.
For Written test 203 students were appeared and 150 members are selected for the Technical interview.
In the Technical interview 82 members are selected
In the MR round 60 members are selected
In the last round 57 members are selected
It consist of three sections
3. Critical reasoning
1. Verbal section:
In this section those were given Synonyms, Antonyms, Sentence completion and passages. All those were from previous papers. Before that exam I mugup all those words but I didn't answer them properly so my advice is to try to use that words and try to speak in English with others then only u can get the job.
All from Barrons12th edition. I can say that this section is depend on ur luck. if u have luck u can easilly qualify in this exam
2. Aptitude Section:
In this section all questions from previous papers and also those were easy if u have little bit concept in logics then u can catch the marks easily some of the questions I have remebered.. I would like to share those questions with u
1) If log 0.317=0.3332 and log 0.319=0.3396 then find log 0.318 ?
Sol) Take the options and verify those with the logic .that logic is if we subtract the value of log0.317 value from log0.318 then that is equal to difference between log0.319 and log0.38.Verify all those options and give a tick mark
2) My flight takes of at 2am from a place at 18N 10E and landed 10 Hrs later at a place with coordinates 36N70W. What is the local time when my plane landed?
6:00 am b) 6:40am c) 7:40 d) 7:00 e) 8:00
Sol) The destination place is 80 degree west to the starting place. Hence the time difference between these two places is 5 hour 20 min. (=24hr*80/360).When the flight landed, the time at the starting place is 12 noon (2 AM + 10 hours).Hence, the time at the destination place is 12 noon - 5:20 hours = 6: 40 AM
3) A plane moves from 9°N40°E to 9°N40°W. If the plane starts at 10 am and takes 8 hours to reach the destination, find the local arrival time ?
Sol) Since it is moving from east to west longitide we need to add both
multiply the ans by 4
convert this min to hours ie, 5hrs 20min.It takes 8hrs totally . So 8-5hr 20 min=2hr 40min.So the ans is 10am+2hr 30 min
=>ans is 12:30 it will reach
4) The size of the bucket is N kb. The bucket fills at the rate of 0.1 kb per millisecond. A programmer sends a program to receiver. There it waits for 10 milliseconds. And response will be back to programmer in 20 milliseconds. How much time the program takes to get a response back to the programmer, after it is sent?
Sol) see it doesn't matter that wat the time is being taken to fill the bucket.after reaching program it waits there for 10ms and back to the programmer in 20 ms.then total time to get the response is 20ms +10 ms=30ms...it's so simple....
5) A file is transferred from one location to another in 'buckets'. The size of the bucket is 10 kilobytes. Each bucket gets filled at the rate of 0.0001 kilobytes per millisecond. The transmission time from sender to receiver is 10 milliseconds per bucket. After the receipt of the bucket the receiver sends an acknowledgement that reaches sender in 100 milliseconds. Assuming no error during transmission, write a formula to calculate the time taken in seconds to successfully complete the transfer of a file of size N kilobytes.
6) Y catches 5 times more fishes than X. If total number of fishes caught by X and Y is 42, then number of fishes caught by X?
Sol) Let no. of fish x catches=p
no. caught by y =r
7) Three companies are working independently and receiving the savings 20%, 30%, 40%. If the companies work combinely, what will be their net savings?
suppose total income is 100
so amount x is getting is 80
y is 70
but total money is 300
so they are getting 90 rs less.90 is 30% of 300 so they r getting 30% discount
8) If G(0) = -1 G(1)= 1 and G(N)=G(N-1) - G(N-2) then what is the value of G(6)?
9) If A can copy 50 pages in 10 hours and A and B together can copy 70 pages in 10 hours, how much time does B takes to copy 26 pages?
Sol) A can copy 50 pages in 10 hrs.
A can copy 5 pages in 1hr.(50/10).now A & B can copy 70 pages in 10hrs.thus, B can copy 90 pages in 10 hrs.[eqn. is (50+x)/2=70, where x--> no. of pages B can copy in 10 hrs.].so, B can copy 9 pages in 1hr.therefore, to copy 26 pages B will need almost 3hrs.since in 3hrs B can copy 27 pages.
10) what's the answer for that :
A, B and C are 8 bit no's. They are as follows:
A -> 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1
B -> 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1
C -> 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 ( u=union)
Find ((A u C) u B) =?
11) One circular array is given(means memory allocation tales place in circular fashion) diamension(9X7) and sarting add. is 3000, What is the address of (2,3)........
Sol) it's a 9x7 int array so it reqiure a 126 bytes for storing.b'ze integer value need 2 byes of memory allocation. and starting add is 3000 so starting add of 2x3 will be 3012.
12) Which of the following is power of 3
a) 2345 b) 9875 c) 6504 d) 9833
13) The size of a program is N. And the memory occupied by the program is given by M = square root of 100N. If the size of the program is increased by 1% then how much memory now occupied ?
N is increased by 1%.therefore new value of N=N + (N/100)
M=sqrt(100 * (101N/100) ).Hence, we get M=sqrt(101 * N)
14) The temperature at Mumbai is given by the function: -t2/6+4t+12 where t is the elapsed time since midnight. What is the percentage rise (or fall) in temperature between 5.00PM and 8.00PM?
15) A person had to multiply two numbers. Instead of multiplying by 35, he multiplied by 53 and the product went up by 540. What was the raised product?
a) 780 b) 1040 c) 1590 d) 1720
Sol) x*53-x*35=540=> x=30 therefore, 53*30=1590 Ans
16) Amal bought 5 pens, 7 pencils and 4 erasers. Rajan bought 6 pens, 8 erasers and 14 pencils for an amount which was half more than what Amal had paid. What % of the total amount paid by Amal was paid for pens?
a) 37.5% b) 62.5% c) 50% d) None of these
Sol)Let, 5 pens + 7 pencils + 4 erasers = x rupees
so 10 pens + 14 pencils + 8 erasers = 2*x rupees
also mentioned, 6 pens + 14 pencils + 8 erarsers = 1.5*x rupees
so (10-6) = 4 pens = (2-1.5)x rupees
so 4 pens = 0.5x rupees => 8 pens = x rupees
so 5 pens = 5x/8 rupees = 5/8 of total (note x rupees is total amt paid byamal)
i.e 5/8 = 500/8% = 62.5% is the answer
17) A face of the clock is divided into three parts. First part hours total is equal to the sum of the second and third part. What is the total of hours in the bigger part?
Sol) the clock normally has 12 hr
three parts x,y,z
so the largest part is 6 hrs
18) With 4/5 full tank vehicle travels 12 miles, with 1/3 full tank how much distance travels
Sol) 4/5 full tank= 12 mile
1 full tank= 12/(4/5)
1/3 full tank= 12/(4/5)*(1/3)= 5 miles
19) A person was fined for exceeding the speed limit by 10mph.another person was also fined for exceeding the same speed limit by twice the same if the second person was travelling at a speed of 35 mph. find the speed limit
solving the eqn we get x=15
20) A sales person multiplied a number and get the answer is 3 instead of that number divided by 3. what is the answer he actually has to get.
Sol) Assume 1
1* 3 = 3
so he has to got 1/3
this is the exact answer
21) Low temperature at the night in a city is 1/3 more than 1/2 hinge as higher temperature in a day. Sum of the low temp and high temp is 100 c. then what is the low temp.
ans is 40 c.
Sol) let x be the highest temp. then,
therefore, x=60 which is the highest temp
and 100-x=40 which is the lowest temp.
22) 2 oranges, 3 bananas and 4 apples cost Rs.15. 3 oranges, 2 bananas, and 1 apple costs Rs 10. What is the cost of 3 oranges, 3 bananas and 3 apples?
x+y+z=5 that is for 1 orange, 1 bannana and 1 apple requires 5Rs.so for 3 orange, 3 bannana and 3 apple requires 15Rs.i.e. 3x+3y+3z=15
23) In 8*8 chess board what is the total number of squares refers
Sol) odele discovered that there are 204 squares on the board We found that you would add the different squares - 1 + 4 + 9 + 16+ 25 + 36 + 49 + 64.
Also in 3*3 tic tac toe board what is the total no of squares
Ans 14 ie 9+4(bigger ones)+1 (biggest one)
If you ger 100*100 board just use the formula.the formula for the sum of the first n perfect squares is
n x (n + 1) x (2n + 1)
if in this formula if you put n=8 you get your answer 204
24) One rectangular plate with length 8inches, breadth 11 inches and 2 inches thickness is there. What is the length of the circular rod with diameter 8 inches and equal to volume of rectangular plate?
Sol) Vol. of rect. plate= 8*11*2=176
area of rod=(22/7)*(8/2)*(8/2)=(352/7)
vol. of rod=area*length=vol. of plate
so length of rod= vol of plate/area=176/(352/7)=3.5
25) There is a six digit code. Its first two digits, multiplied by 3 gives all ones. And the next two digits multiplied by 6 give all twos. Remaining two digits multiplied by 9 gives all threes. Then what is the code?
sol) Assume the digit xx xx xx (six digits).First Two digit xx * 3=111
( first two digits of 1 is not divisible by 3 so we can use 111)
Second Two digit xx*6=222
( first two digits of 2 is not divisible by 6 so we can use 222)
Thrid Two digit xx*9=333
( first two digits of 3 is not divisible by 9 so we can use 333)
26) Gavaskar average in first 50 innings was 50. After the 51st innings his average was 51 how many runs he made in the 51st innings
Ans) first 50 ings.- run= 50*50=2500
51st ings.- avg 51. so total run =51*51=2601.so run scored in that ings=2601-2500=101 runs.
27) Anand finishes a work in 7 days, Bittu finishes the same job in 8 days and Chandu in 6 days. They take turns to finish the work. Anand on the first day, Bittu on the second and Chandu on the third day and then Anand again and so on. On which day will the work get over?
a) 3rd b) 6th c) 9th d) 7th
Ans is d) 7th day
Sol) In d 1st day Anand does 1/7th of total work.similarly,Bithu does 1/8th work in d 2nd day hence at d end of 3 days, work done = 1/7+1/8+1/6=73/168
remaining work = (168-73)/168 = 95/168.again after 6 days of work, remaining work is = (95-73)/168 = 22/168 and hence Anand completes the work on 7th day.(hope u understood.)
28) A man, a women and a child can do a piece of work in 6 days,man can do it in 14 days, women can do it 16 days, and in how many days child can do the same work?
The child does it in 24 days
29)some of the problems on pie charts.those will come from Barros 12th edition previous papers
On this concept minimum 10 q's will come
30)some of the problems on selecting one out examples are
(a)ORACLE (b)INGRESS (c) UNIX (d)DB2 (e) SYBASE
(a)SAP (b)HTTP (c)WAP (d)SMTP (e)ARP
a. Java b. Lisp c. Smalltalk d. Eiffel
a. LINUX b. WINDOWS 98 c. SOLARIS d. SMTP
b. JAVA b. LISP c. Small talk d. Eiffel
c. HTTP b. ARP c. SMTP d. SAP
d. Linux b.windows NT c. SQL server d. UNIX
e. SAP b. ARP c. WAP d.TCP IP
f. Oracle b. Linux c. Ingress d. DB2
g. SMTP b. WAP c. SAP d. ARP
h. WAP b. HTTP c. BAAN d. ARP
i. SQL b. DB2 c. SYBASE d. HTTP
31). In the following series, how many Ws are there such that each W is followed by an C next to it if the C is not followed by a S next to it?
W C W S Q M W C S M C W C C W Q M W
W C Q W C S C W A M C W C M
(a)3 (b) 5(c)6 (d)4 (e)7
32). If QMFBTF is coded as PLEASE how will HBJO be coded?
(a)MIND (b)ALERT (c)TRIAL (d) GAIN (e) BRAVE
33). Suppose the first and second letters in the word CONSTITUTIONAL were interchanged, also the third and fourth letters, the fifth and sixth etc. Print the letter that would then be the tenth letter counting from the right.
(a) T (b) I (c) N (d) O (e) U
34). How would the decimal number 520 be represented in a base -7 number System?
(a) 1564 (b) 1234 (c) 1342 (d) 1562 (e) 1672
35). What is the largest prime number that can be stored in an 8-bit word computer?
(a) 199 (b) 251 (c) 201 (d) 233 (e) 257
36) Which set of data exhibits a higher Standard Deviation?
(a) 7, 0, -7, 7, 0, -7 (b) -7, -7, -7, -7, -7, -7 (c) 7, -7, 7, -7, 7, -7
(d) 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7 (e) 7, 7, 7, 0, 7, 7
37). Of the four vectors A,B,C,D find out which pair forms an orthogonal set
A = i+j, B = 3i+2j, C = -7i+j, D = 2i-3j
(a)BD (b)AD (c)BC (d)AC (e)AB
38). Evaluate the expression
M (373,7) + R (5.8) + T (7.7) - R(3.4) where M stands for Modulo arithmetic, R stands for Round-off operation and T stands for Truncation Operation
(a)13 (b)16 (c) 12 (d)19 (e)21
39). Three independent mechanisms A, B and C have been incorporated for fuel saving in a car producing respectively 30%, 20% and 40% efficiency. Assuming that they operate independently, what is the net fuel efficiency achieved?
(a)61 % (b) 64% (c) 62% (d) 66.4% (e) 69%
example: series completion- 8,10,12,17,??,26,22
40) units of basic quantities :
1. (energy * time * time )/(mass * dist) = distance
2. (momentum * velocity)/(force * time) = velocity
I was selected in this round
next i went to Technical interview really he is very coooooooool
me: May i come in sir?
tech: ya.....yes come in
can i call u with hari or hari krishna
me: Hari krishna
tech: sit down
(if he is not specified wait for his request )
tech: How r u?
me: I am fine sir
Tech: What is your interesting subject?
Tech: Can u say factorial of a number without using recursive functions?
me: yes sir
Tech: OK tell me
me: i written that programme (using for loops)
Tech :is there any other way?
me: yes sir and i written using while loop
Tech: ok i will ask u one logical question that is i will give u 6 objects in those objects one object is different in weights but not in shape that means all those look like equal only difference in weights
then he asked to me with in how many rounds u can find that object ?
me: i told that logic (answer is 2)
Tech: OK good
have u done any project?
me: yes sir
Tech: Can you explain that one?
me: I explained my project
(some times he can ask the logic)
Tech: ok good
i will ask u another question
that is i will give u two candles those are in same height (but length is not specified) those candles will burn with in 1 hour so that can u find 45 min using two candles?
me: i did not satisfied him
Tech: Do u have any doubts?
me: yes sir
me: sir can we do the M.TECH while we are doing the job sir?
Tech: you can but there will be lot of problems will come
me: THANKU sir
Tech: OK fine
i am sridhar all the very best
me : Thanku sir
in this round i was selected and after 20 min i went to MR round.in that round i didn't satisfied
me: May i come in sir?
mr: ok come in
me: Can i sit here sir?
mr: he is seeing my face angryly and say sitdown and he asked me if i told to u dont sit then what will u do?
me: i will not sit sir
mr: y ?
me:i have to give respect to others so i cant sit sir
mr: OK if any people slapped u then what will u do?
me: i will ask what is the reason for that one
mr: if that is not a good reason then what will u do?
me: i will give a complaint on him
mr: ok what is the difference between C++ and java
me: i told the answer
mr:OK i will give project to u that is to be completed in 10 days and condition is project should be completed by the PHP language ..u don't know that language ..but project manager gives that project to u than what will u do and u should complete that project in 10 days
me: i will learn that language and i will start that project
mr: is complete in 10 days?
me: yes sir
mr: ok give a schedule for that project
me: i given schedule to him
mr: after seeing that schedule he told to me in this schedule there is no team work and all the work done by u only ....is it correct way to do the project
me: i didn't respond
mr:ok while u r doing your project some of your family member suffering from some disease and u have to go that is very serious that time what will u do?
me:i will give that response to my sisters
mr: if ur sisters can't handle that situation then what will u do?
me: i will go sir
mr: but project should be completed in 10 days if u will go project will not be complete
me: i will give that work to my team member
mr: u only learnt that language... u only complete that project that time what will u do?
me: i will take a permission from project manager to go to hospital
mr: if he will not give, what will u do?
me: i will again ask permission
mr: that time also if he will not give then what will u do?
me: 1 min i didn't say anything
mr: ok do u have any doubts?
me: i asked him two doubts and he clarified
mr: ok thank you
me: thank you sir
After result came my name is there so I am very happy after some I went to HR. THAT IS
he is some what cool in that interview
hr: what is meant by working culture?
me: i said something
hr: if any people wants to live a life happily what they have to do?
me: i told something
hr: if we want to success in our life what we have to do?
me: i told something
hr: have succeed in ur life?
me: yes sir
hr: what is it?
me: i told one situation
hr: ok good see the result tomorrow
me: ok sir
me: thanku sir
however I was selected in this company I am very happy now it is your turn