I am an MCA candidate, I have attended Hyderabad TCS written on 7th October, 2007 and got selected in it. TCS written test is easy if u concentrate little on it
There are basically 3 parts
Verbal: Prepare antonyms and synonyms from previous papers. After that two paragraphs are given
in that section. Totally 32 marks in this section. Concentrate more in this part because this is some what difficult to answer.
Arithmetic ability: This is the easiest section where we can get good score. It is enough to prepare previous papers, they just change the digits and the model is same. There are some problems from Bar and Pie Chart.
Critical Reasoning: In this section there will be 3 passages and questions on it. So, we have to prepare the GRE Barron's book either 12th or 13th edition. All will come from that only.
There will be both upper cut-off and lower cut-off. Be careful, don't answer all the questions if u prepare well and know more answers. And also there is no sectional cut-off for TCS so u can gain marks even if you are not able to answer in one section.
Then written test results are placed in TCS site with in 10 days. The list of selected candidates' are given date and time to attend the next rounds.
Next I have Technical round on 3rd November, 2007.
For this prepare well your academic subjects. They can ask on any one and u should be able to answer.
I have prepared
1) C, C++, DS
2) DBMS concepts, Oracle with SQL and PL/SQL
3) Operating Systems
4) Computer Networks
5) Software Engineering
6) .NET concepts because I did project in .NET
7) And finally, my academic project.
My turn is at 3pm so I went there by 2.20.They send us by 3pm by verifying our marks lists right from tenth. I was waited and sent in at 4.45
My technical round was around 20 minutes.The interviewer called me and started interview..
1) Tell me about yourself?
I said my name, qualification with aggregate. My basic technical skills and my project. Then my family back ground. Then he asked me where my father is working...
2) Asked me to explain about my project?
I took a paper and explained with flow of screens and the functionality. He asked some doubts in my project
3) What is .net framework?
4) What is CLR?
5) What is stored procedure?
I explained stored procedure and wrote syntax for stored procedure. And I also said in which places I have used stored procedures in my project.
6) What is the difference between procedures and functions?
7) What is a static function?
8) What is the purpose of static variable?
9) What is the difference between static and constant?
10) Write a program to find the maximum number in a given list?
11) What is selection sort and write a program?
12) What is linked list? Difference between single linked list and double linked list?
13) Write a program for double linked list?
14) What are access specifiers?
15) Can we access private variable in another class?
16) what is polymorphism? Function overloading?
17) What are your interests?
18) What are your strengths?
I have answered 90% of them and I was forwarded to next round in the same day
MR (managerial round):
In this section you may ask either Technical or Personal details or both that depends upon the interviewer. I was totally asked Technical in this round and it was round 45 minutes.
She asked me...
1) Can u introduce yourself?
2) Which is favorite your subject?
Here, you should tell the subject which u prepared well because most of the questions related to this topic only. I said .NET but you people don't say that because the technology may not be familiar with that interviewer.
So let it be a subject or tell them like as a fresher I have basic knowledge on my academic subjects.. at that time you should ready to face all the questions. Then started my problems
3) Explain about your project deeply how your project works?
I started taking a paper and explained my project. Then she stopped at one place and asked to write the connectivity between backend and front-end. you should be able to explain the module which u have done. I also explained the database architecture. I was asked many questions on my project.
4) How can u create a webpage in .net?
5) What is the difference between HTML and ASP?
HTML pages r static where as ASP pages r dynamic and we can interact with ASP pages.
6) What are your interests?
I said like I like to make friendship..
Oh! How big your circle?
Then I said I like to call on historical monuments and new places.
7) What is RAM and ROM?
I said like RAM is a temporary memory area where as ROM is a permanent storage area. I was asked what type of data it will store? I said it may be files or tables?
Immediately the next question was
8) What is the difference between files and database?
9) What is normalization?
10) I was given a table.. normalizing it and write a query to display all the records of those tables?
Empno empname salary deptname deptno
Then I write like
Empno(pk) empname salary deptno
Select * from emp e, dept d where e.deptno=d.deptno;
11) What are different keys in sql?
11) What are your strengths?
I said that I am a confident person.
I am an optimistic person and I think in a positive way.
And finally I am a down to earth person.
What u should do is u should have confidence while talking with interviewer. They only see your confidence levels. How much u can grasp things. And your basic communication skills. Be sure that you should show confidence.
I have forwarded to next round that is HR round and it was around 10 minutes. Be prepared for these questions. I was asked...
1) What does your name mean?
2) Introduce yourself within one minute?
2) What is your family background?
3) Tell me your interests?
4) Tell me your opinion about TCS in one sentence?
5) There is a specific reason that why drainage plates are changing from square to round shape?
6) Tell me about your strengths and weaknesses?
7) Finally, would u like to ask me something?
I asked her name first and then "If I have selected in TCS where will I place"? She said me that may depend upon the projects available at that time.
Some of my friends were asked..
8) Why shirt buttons are in round shape?
9) Why round shaped pizza will place in square shaped box?
10) If your husband is in Australia and you are in TCS Hyderabad then he doesn't want u to do job and wish to take along with him. What would u do?
11) tell me your long-term and short-term goals?
12) Who is your role model?
13) Why should we hire you?
Okey guys... All the best for your interview, The only thing in any interview is you show confidence, basic communication skills and your core technical skills. Remaining will be thought by the company.