Tech Mahindra Interview Experience - Kolkata, Nov 23, 2015
Hello, I'm Anirban Banerjee from Budge Budge Institute of Technology, Kolkata. We had a pool campus drive by TechM, comprising of 4 other colleges from Kolkata.
First of all I want to say about the eligibility criteria, it was real strict; 70% in class 10, 70% in class 12 (no best of 4 or 5 in both, it was on the total) and 6 and above in B.Tech (till 3rd yr). So, due to this lots of student were sent back, in fact, not even 69.95% was accepted.
At 10 30 am, the pre-placement talk started giving an overview of the company and their work culture. My advice would be to please listen to it very carefully and try to use it in the answers in interview rounds. Helped a lot for me (using their motto in my answer in the HR round). Then they gave details about the entire recruitment process:
1) Online English and Aptitude
2) Online Essay
3) Technical Interview and
4) HR Interview.
1. ONLINE ENGLISH AND APTITUDE TEST: This is one of the main rounds in the process. Maximum elimination happens over here (out of around 200 students who sat only 49 cleared it).
Total questions: 130
No. of sections: 7 (3 Eng, 1 Quants, 3 Verbal/Reasoning)
Questions/sections: Eng 1 - 25, Eng 2 - 35, Eng Comprehension - 10, Quants - 15 , Verbal - 35 , Verbal Paragraph - 5 , Verbal figures - 5
Marking: +1 for correct answer. No negative marking so don't leave any questions. Go for option C when you don't know an answer, it's a trick that helps.
Total Time - 80 mins.
Cut off is not known. Those who qualified the computer immediately showed you are through to the next round. Otherwise just a thank you.
2. ONLINE ESSAY WRITING: This is another elimination round, but it's less compared to the previous. You have to write an essay on the topic given in 200 words (1000 characters, do bring that count to 0) in 10 mins. They actually want to know how quickly can you think about a topic, grammar knowledge and typing speed too. Once its done you have to submit it and then wait for the result. Topic can be anything like 'Social Networking', 'Father or Mother - who is a better parent?'. My topic was 'End justifies Means - your view'.
Out of 49, 46 cleared the round. Those who couldn't was due to unfinished essay.
3. TECHNICAL INTERVIEW: This is the MOST important round. If this goes well, you will be quite sure of your chances. There was two persons in the panel. One asked me programming languages. I told C, so he asked many questions. Mostly basic and conceptual questions. Few elementary programming like swapping, palindrome no., Armstrong no., etc. If you don't know anything, just say 'NO', don't try to fool them, you will be in great problem. Another person asked me from my own domain i.e. ECE. Basics of electronics. Then my previous projects and the final year project. Then he asked me my favourite subject from ECE. Tell the one you are actually confident; you can answer even the difficult questions partially. It will take anything from 20 to 40 minutes time.
Out of 46, only 36 qualified for HR interview.
4. HR INTERVIEW: This is a round where they want to see how well you can communicate normally as well as in technical matters. It was a group interview of 4 with the HR. First you will be asked to introduce and then asked Being from XXX stream why do you want to join an IT company? Whatever you answer, needs to be justified well. Then hobby, extra-curricular and such. The HR was very funny but will be trying to put you in an awkward position in front of the others. Be confident and don't just YES say to him for every answer, be honest. Relocation is another one important question, be open about it, if you don't want to relocate say NO. Lastly, they will ask whether you have any questions for them. Be prepared with at-least one question, if not more.
At 11:15 pm, the final result was declared and out of 36, 34 were selected. I was one of them.
Definitely, one of the most memorable day in my life. One thing I want to say that its also a test of patience and your attitude, besides everything.
Looking forward to my life at TechM - Connected World, Connected Solutions.
3i Infotech - AAI - ABACUS - ABB - Accel Frontline - Accenture - Aditi - Adobe - ADP - Agreeya - Akamai - Alcatel Lucent - Allfon - Alumnus - Amazon - Amdocs - AMI - Andhra Bank - AppLabs - Apps Associates - Aricent - Ashok Leyland - Aspire - Atos Origin - Axes - Bajaj - Bank of Maharashtra - BEL - BEML - BHEL - BirlaSoft - Blue Dart - Blue Star - BOB - BPCL - BPL - Brakes - BSNL - C-DOT - Cadence - Calsoft - Canara Bank - Canarys - Capgemini - Caritor - Caterpillar - CDAC - CGI - Changepond - Ciena - Cisco - Citicorp - CMC - Consagous - Convergys - CORDYS - Crompton - CSC - CTS - Cummins - Dell - Deloitte - Delphi-TVS - DeShaw - Deutsche - Dotcom - DRDO - EDS - EIL - ELGI - ELICO - ERICSSON - Essar - Fidelity - Flextronics - Freescale - FXLabs - GAIL - GE - Genpact - Geodesic - Geometric - Globaledge - GlobalLogic - Godrej - Google - Grapecity - HAL - HCL - Hexaware - Honeywell - HP - HPCL - HSBC - Huawei - Hughes - IBM - IBS - ICICI - iGate - Impetus - iNautix - Indian Airforce - Indian Airlines - Infosys - Infotech - Intec - Integra - Intergraph - IOCL - iSOFT - ISRO - Ittiam - JSW - Keane - Kenexa - L & T - L & T Infotech - LG Soft - Lifetree - LionBridge - Mahindra Satyam - Mastek - Maveric - McAfee - MECON - Microsoft - MindTree - Miraclesoft - Mistral - Motorola - Mphasis - MTNL - NIC - Nokia Siemens - Novell - NTPC - Nucleus - ORACLE - Patni - Perot - Polaris - Ramco - Robert Bosch - Samsung - SAP - Sapient - Sasken - SBI - Sierra Atlantic - Sonata - Sony India - Sutherland - Syntel - TCS - Tech Mahindra - VeriFone - Virtusa - Wipro - Zensar.