Hughes Sample Placement Paper
Hughes Paper Pattern
1) find the probability of getting a number with 7 between 100 and 999 (both inclusive).
2) There are 10 items in a box, out of which 3 are defective. 2 balls are taken one after the other. what is the probability that both of them are defective?
Ans: 1/15 or 6/90
3) Context free grammar is accepted by
a) finite automata
b)push down automata
c) two way bounded automata
d) both b and c
4) which is not a memory management scheme?
a) buddy system
Ans : c
5) qn. on karnaugh map for simplifying boolean expressions
- 1 1 -
1 - - 1
1 - - 1
- 1 1 -
6) qn. on nand gates .
7) context sensitive grammar
8) An identifier can start with a letter followed by any number of letter or digits .
9) 8MB total memory, 256 k cache , 4k is block size. direct mapping how many different physical memory blocks can be mapped on to the cache.
10) CSMA/CD is used in
a) token ring
Ans : d
11) In TCP/IP header , checksum contains
a) sum of all the words
b) ones complement of the data
c) ones complement of the sum of all the words
d) ones complement of the sum in ones complement
Ans : d
12) Max no of Acknowledgements for a 4 bit sequence number in a sliding window protocol.
13) which is a good way of representing varaibles in recursion
a) local variables
b) static varaibles
c) global variables
14) c programs
static int i = 10;
what is the value of i if the function is called twice ?
Ans : 11
15) Qn. on pointers .
16) given page table,page size and offset find the corresponding physical address ?
ans : a (3*1024+576) (pageno*pagesize+offset)
17) In a memory chip 4k size and 16bit words to be stored. No of address and data lines reqd.
Ans) 16 data and 12 address
18) idetify in which pass of the 2 pass compiler
2) address resolution
19) object code not requires
a) relocation bits
b) external names and place where they are located
c) absolute adress
d) all the object codes
a) MAC to IP
b) IP to MAC
Ans : b
21) Qn on Balanced tree ? A balanced tree is given and a node is addded at the leaf and asked to find the no of unbalanced nodes?
22) order of Hashing time
4) parse tree
s -> s + s ; s -> s * s ; s -> a
find the no of parse trees for a+a*a+a
25) order of deleting an node from a linked list. (pointer is to an arbitrary node)
26) A choclate of size nXn is given and is to be made into pices of size 1x1. At a time both horizontal and a vertical cut is done. Find the order of complexity
Ans : a
27) A directed graph is represented by adjacency list. To find the complexity of indegree of the node. e - edge n- vertices
28) No of leaf nodes given. find the no of nodes with degree 2.
29) AX = B . A is mXn and B is mX1 and several options given like
a) there is a unique solution if rank of A is same as rank of augumented matrix [A b]
b) there are multiple solutions
30) LXI sp,2099h
LXI b, 2012h
31) Which of the following are false (on complexities)
32) A,B are sets. A s cardinality is m and B s is n where m < n how many one to one mappings can be obtained.
a) n ^ m
33) In scduling algorithnms which are logically executed but suspended
d) all the above
Ans : a
34) I/O redirection is
a) copying programs files through a pipe
b) input files are created
c) input file taken from existing ones
35) symmetric multiprocessing can be done in
a) snoopy protocols
b) cache coherence
36) dining philospheres problems to avoid dead lock
a) 1 person will take left one and all other will take right one
b) adjacent persons should not eat concurrently
36) process states ? which is the correct order
a) timeout:ready -> running
b) blocked : ready -> running
37) for converting infix expression to postfix what
do we require
a) operand stack
b) operator stack
38) 0 is reprented as both and negative and positive
a) ones complement
b) twos complement
c) two s complement has extra negative number
39) Difference between c and c++?
a)In c++ we can define variables in the middle
40) Which of the following is correct
a) Synchronous tranmission needs more badwidth than Asychronous.
b) Inasychronous transmission , the time is associated with data itself.....
future ( values / varriables changed - similer paper)
The Questions are follows
1. Number of null pointers in any binary tree = n+1
2. max(t1,t2,...tn) = pipelining
3. 50% -DBETXXXXXX - density
4. print (Head(T))
Traverse(right(T)) - ans: none of the above
5. Boolean expn Evalvate
6. Common subexpn : - ans : a + e
7. LRU : 1, 2, 3.
8. Tr. Delay - 10000 bits ans. 10.01
9. Grammar of Number of shift / reduce operator : ans. 4
10. CPU scheduling 9,8 ?
11. if even x/2
2^k + 1: 3 . 2^(k-1) clarify this with sans
12. allocation ans: (ii) only
13. swapping : ans: reference only
14. Compiler - related Qn.
15. LAN frames - ? related Qn.
16. parameter passing (35,20)
17. sliding window protocol
- BUFFER SIZE large
18. kernel mode - deallocate resource
19. logic circuit
ans . Minimum OR = 3
20. Combinatorics related
21. priority scheduling
begin x = y; x= x+1; y= x
begin x =y; z= z+1; y= z
ans. Number of values possi = 2
23. 2 bits flip / 2 bits exchange
ans : the word with one 1
24. any addr
K^+ v(a) + 2I - 2a
You try to prepare all subject questions in all the papers being sent so that it will be useful in the interview. concentrate on OS, networks.
1). A beggr collects cigarette stubs and makes one ful cigarette with every 7 stubs. Once he gets 49 stubs . How many cigarettes can he smoke totally.
2). A soldiar looses his way in a thick jungle at random walks from his camp but mathematically in an interestingg fashion. First he walks one mile east then half mile to north. Then 1/4 mile to west, then 1/8 mile to south and so on making a loop. Finally hoe far he is from his camp and in which direction.
Ans: in north and south directions
3). hoe 1000000000 can be written as a product of two factors neither of them containing zeros Ans 2 power 9 x 5 ppower 9 ( check the answer )
4). Conversation between two mathematcians: first : I have three childern. Thew pproduct of their ages is 36 . If you sum their ages . it is exactly same as my neighbour s door number on my left. The sacond mathematiciaan verfies the door number and says that the not sufficient . Then the first says " o.k one more clue is that my youngest is the youngest" Immmediately the second mathematician answers . Can you aanswer the questoion asked by the first mathematician? What are the childeren ages?
Ans 2 and 3 and 6
5). Light glows for every 13 seconds . How many times did it between 1:57:58 and 3:20:47 am
ans : 383 + 1 = 384
6). 500 men are arranged in an array of 10 rows and 50 columns . ALL tallest among each row aare asked to fall out . And the shortest among THEM is A. Similarly after resuming that to their originaal podsitions that the shorteest among each column are asked to fall out. And the longest among them is B . Now who is taller among A and B ?
7). A person spending out 1/3 for cloths , 1/5 of the remsaining for food and 1/4 of the remaining for travelles is left with Rs 100/- . How he had in the begining ?
ans RS 250/-
8). there are six boxes containing 5 , 7 , 14 , 16 , 18 , 29 balls of either red or blue in colour. Some boxes contain only red balls and others contain only blue . One sales man sold one box out of them and then he says " I have the same number of red balls left out as that of blue ". Which box is the one he solds out ?
Ans : total no of balls = 89 and (89-29 /2 = 60/2 = 30 and also 14 + 16 = 5 + 7 + 18 = 30
9). A chain is broken into three pieces of equal lenths conttaining 3 links each. It is taken to a backsmith to join into a single continuous one . How many links are to tobe opened to make it ?
Ans : 2.
10). Grass in lawn grows equally thickand in a uniform rate. It takes 24 days for 70 cows and 60 for 30 cows . How many cows can eat away the same in 96 days.?
Ans : 18 or 19
11). There is a certain four digit number whose fourth digit is twise the first digit. Third digit is three more than second digit. Sum of the first and fourth digits twise the third number. What was that number ?
Ans : 2034 and 4368
If you qualify in the first part then you have to appear for the second i.e the following part.
1. From a vessel on the first day, 1/3rd of the liquid evaporates. On the second day 3/4th of the remaining liquid evaporates. what fraction of the volume is present at the end of the II day.
2. an orange galss has orange juice. and white glass has apple juice. Bothe equal volume 50ml of the orange juice is taken and poured into the apple juice. 50ml from the white glass is poured into the orange glass. Of the two quantities, the amount of apple juice in the orange glass and the amount of orange juice in the white glass, which one is greater and by how much?
3. there is a 4 inch cube painted on all sides. this is cut into no of 1 inch cubes. what is the no of cubes which have no pointed sides.
4. sam and mala have a conversation. sam says i am vertainly not over 40. mala says i am 38 and you are atleast 5 years older than me. Now sam says you are atleast 39. all the sattements by the two are false. How hold are they realy.
5. ram singh goes to his office in the city, every day from his suburbun house. his driver mangaram drops him at the railway station in the morning and picks him up in the evening. Every evening ram singh reaches the station at 5 o clock. mangaram also reaches at the same time. one day ramsingh started early from his office and came to the station at 4 o clock. not wanting to wait for the car he starts walking home. Mangaram starts at normal time, picks him up on the way and takes him back house, half an hour early. how much time did ram singh walk.
6. in a railway station, there are tow trains going. One in the harbour line and one in the main line, each having a frequency of 10 minutes. the main line service starts at 5 o clock. the harbour line starts at 5.02a.m. a man goes to the station every day to catch the first train. what is the probability of man catchinhg the first train
7. some people went for vaction. unfortunately it rained for 13 days when they were there. but whenever it rained in the morning, they had clean afternood and vice versa. In all they enjoyed 11 morning and 12 afternoons. how many days did they stay there totally
8. exalator problem repeat
9. a survey was taken among 100 people to firn their preference of watching t.v. programmes. there are 3 channels. given no of
People who watch at least channel 1
" " 2
" " 3
no channels at all atleast channels 1and 3
" " 1 and 2
" " 2 and 3
find the no of people who watched all three.
10. albert and fernandes they have two leg swimming race. both start from opposite and of the pool. On the first leg, the boys pass each other at 18 mt from the deep end of the pool. during the II leg they pass at 10 mt from the shallow end of the pool. Both go at const speed. but one of them is faster. each boy rests for 4sec to see at the end of the i leg. what is the length of the pool.
11. T H I S Each alphabet stands for one I S digit, what is the maximum value T -------------- can take
X F X X
X X U X
X X N X X
1. an escalator is descending at constant speed. A walks down and takes 50 steps to reach the bottom. B runs down and takes 90 steps in the same time as A takes 10 steps. how many steps are visible when the escalator is not operating.
2. evvery day a cyclist meets a train at a particular crossing. the road is straignt before the crossing and both are travelling in the same direction. cyclist travels with a speed of 10 Kmph. One day the cyclist comes late by 25 min. and meets the train 5km before the crossing. what is the seppd of the train.
3. five persons muckerjee, misra, iyer, patil and sharma, all take then first or middle names in the full names. There are 4 persons having I or middle name of kumar, 3 persons with mohan, 2 persons withdev and 1 anil. --Either mukherjee and patil have a I or middle name of dev or misra and iyer have their I or middle name ofdev --of mukherkjee and misre, either both of them have a first or middle name of mohan or neither have a first or middle name of mohan --either iyer of sharma has a I or middle name of kumar hut not both. who has the I or middle name of anil
4. reading conprehension
5. a bird keeper has got Ppigeon, M mynas and S sparrows. the keeper goes for lunch leaving his assistant to watch the birds.
a. suppose p=10, m=5, s=8 when the bird keeper comes back, the assistant informs the x birds have escaped. the bird keeper exclaims oh no! all my sparrows are gone. how many birds flew away.
b. when the bird keeper come back, the assistand told him that x birds have escaped. the keeper realised that atleast2 sparrows have escaped. what is minimum no of birds that can escape.
6. select from the five alternatives A,B,C,D,E AT THE end of each question ,two conditions will be given. the choices are to filled at follows.
a. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1
b. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 2
c. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1 and 2
d. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1 or 2
e. no conclusion can be drawn using both conditions
1. person 1 says N<5
person says n>5
person 3 says 3N>20
person 4 says 3n>10
person 5 says N<8
whaT IS value of N
a) 1. no of persons who speak false being less than no of persons who tells the truth. 2. person 2 is telling the truth.
b) 1. no of persong telling the truth is greater than no of persons telling lies 2. person 5 is telling the truth.
7. there are N coins on a table. there are two players A&B. you can take 1 or 2 coins at a time. the person who takes the last coin is the loser. a always starts first
--1. if N=7
a) A can always win by taking two coins in his first chanse
b) B can win only if A takes two coins in his first chance.
c) B can always win by proper play
d) none of the above
--2. A can win by proper play if N is equal to
e) 48 ans. e.
--3. B can win by proper play if N is equal to
3i Infotech - AAI - ABACUS - ABB - Accel Frontline - Accenture - Aditi - Adobe - ADP - Agreeya - Akamai - Alcatel Lucent - Allfon - Alumnus - Amazon - Amdocs - AMI - Andhra Bank - AppLabs - Apps Associates - Aricent - Ashok Leyland - Aspire - Atos Origin - Axes - Bajaj - Bank of Maharashtra - BEL - BEML - BHEL - BirlaSoft - Blue Dart - Blue Star - BOB - BPCL - BPL - Brakes - BSNL - C-DOT - Cadence - Calsoft - Canara Bank - Canarys - Capgemini - Caritor - Caterpillar - CDAC - CGI - Changepond - Ciena - Cisco - Citicorp - CMC - Consagous - Convergys - CORDYS - Crompton - CSC - CTS - Cummins - Dell - Deloitte - Delphi-TVS - DeShaw - Deutsche - Dotcom - DRDO - EDS - EIL - ELGI - ELICO - ERICSSON - Essar - Fidelity - Flextronics - Freescale - FXLabs - GAIL - GE - Genpact - Geodesic - Geometric - Globaledge - GlobalLogic - Godrej - Google - Grapecity - HAL - HCL - Hexaware - Honeywell - HP - HPCL - HSBC - Huawei - Hughes - IBM - IBS - ICICI - iGate - Impetus - iNautix - Indian Airforce - Indian Airlines - Infosys - Infotech - Intec - Integra - Intergraph - IOCL - iSOFT - ISRO - Ittiam - JSW - Keane - Kenexa - L & T - L & T Infotech - LG Soft - Lifetree - LionBridge - Mahindra Satyam - Mastek - Maveric - McAfee - MECON - Microsoft - MindTree - Miraclesoft - Mistral - Motorola - Mphasis - MTNL - NIC - Nokia Siemens - Novell - NTPC - Nucleus - ORACLE - Patni - Perot - Polaris - Ramco - Robert Bosch - Samsung - SAP - Sapient - Sasken - SBI - Sierra Atlantic - Sonata - Sony India - Sutherland - Syntel - TCS - Tech Mahindra - VeriFone - Virtusa - Wipro - Zensar.