BEL PAPER - 23 NOV 2008 - BANGALORE
I wrote BEL (Probationary Engineer) written test on Nov 23rd 2008. I belong to Computer science stream
General structure: Totally 160 questions (2:30 hrs) Each carries 1 mark and 0.25 will be deducted for a wrong answer (NEGATIVE MARKING)
General aptitude: 30 questions
Technical :120 questions
Data interpretation questions and passage (reading) ques - around 20 questions. some logical analysing questions (were simple)
1. Given probability for A to fail 0.5 and for B to fail 0.3 then what is the probability of either A or B fail?
2. Rita told mani tht,"I saw a girl yesterday who is the youngest daughter of brother in law of my friend's mother" what is the relation between her friend and the girl she saw ?
ans: cousin (chk)
3. 750 hrs of quality test was conducted on 10 components, at the end of 350 hr, a component failed. What is the probability of failure per hour?
4. Given the P(A) and P(B) and probability of occurence of both... try to know the logic to find probaility of neither A nor B.
Concentrate more on numericals in our core subject especially Computer architecture, Operating system, Computer networks, Data structure.
some ques were from 12th & 10th maths, physics(in small no).. - like differential equations, integral some ques from engineering mathematics (numerical methods.....)
1. No. of crosspoints needed in a single stage switch having 40 inputs and 50 outputs?
2. No. of crosspoints needed for 10 lines in a cross-point switch which is full duplex in nature and there is no self- connections is
3. when |z-5i| / |z+5i| = 1,where z=x+iy
a) lies on x-axis b) straight line c) circle passing through origin d) none
4. Gateway is applicable upto which layer
ans: Application layer
5. Questions to find the avg access time of CPU when hit ratio is 0.8 and time to access primary memory is 10ns and that of secondary memory 50ns?
(hints: h=0.8, c=10, M=50, avg acess time = hc +(1-h)M)
6. How many 256 * 1 RAM chips were needed for 1 K bytes of memory?
7. Disk scheduling problems (dont remember it exactly)
8. Two represenations of zero in
a) prefered ans:sign magnitude b) 1's complement c) 2's complement d) none
as both sign magnitude and 1's complement hve 2 zero representations (chk)
9. Few questions from Theory of computation.
10. Problems from linear and quadratic hashing..
11. Know all number conversions-hexa-dec, oct-dec,.
12. Many problems like A needs 5 resources and B needs 6 resources of same type, then minimum resources needed so that deadlock will not occur?
13. Know to calculate waiting and turn around time
14. Size of the RAM required to find square of 4-bit no?
15. If x0=1 using Newton Raphson method,find x1 for x2 -1 =0?
16. Know the difference between first/second order and linear/non-linear differential equations?
17. Which one is a star LAN?
a) 10Base5 b)10Base2 c)ans:10BaseT
18. In which 8B/6T encoding used?
a) ans:100BaseT4 b)100BaseFX….
a) completely multiprogramming b)partially multiprogramming c) not a multiprogramming
20. A task is divided and computed in different processor is
Ans: Distributed processing
21. Token Ring is
22. When token reached the intended recipient,then what it does?
>It recognizes its address,
>copies the message,
>checks for error,
>changes 4 bits in the last byte of frame to indicate address recognized and frame copied.
23. Which one has the common database?
a) distance vector b) link state c)link vector ……
ans: link state
24. Hamming code related problems like minimum bits required for error detection
25. What addressing used in network layer?
Ans: logical addressing
26. A question was from TDM bus relating RAM (have a look on it)
27. Know what a microprogram and microcomputer ?
28. If the quantum size of RR increases then turn around time
29. Questions like no of page frames replace using FIFO.
30. Questions from set associative mapping (numericals)
31. Know the range for sign –magnitude, 1’s complement, 2’s complement for n-bit no.?
32. no. of address lines in ROM is determined by
Ans: no. of input lines
33. Have a look on advantages and disadvantages of GO-BACK N ARQ and Selective Reject
34. Memory protection is of no use in
a) Single user system b)multiprogramming………
35. Auto variables when uninitialized will have
Ans: Unpredictable (garbage) value
36. Chart used for Scheduling
Ans: gantt chart
These are the questions I do remember.
Note: Yor proper strategy of solving the paper concern a lot. Here the time is crucial as you can spend only 1 min/question.
I felt the paper to be moderate… but a thorough preparation of our core subjects (mainly numerical aspects) will help to solve it to the maximum with in time… it just needs practice
3i Infotech - AAI - ABACUS - ABB - Accel Frontline - Accenture - Aditi - Adobe - ADP - Agreeya - Akamai - Alcatel Lucent - Allfon - Alumnus - Amazon - Amdocs - AMI - Andhra Bank - AppLabs - Apps Associates - Aricent - Ashok Leyland - Aspire - Atos Origin - Axes - Bajaj - Bank of Maharashtra - BEL - BEML - BHEL - BirlaSoft - Blue Dart - Blue Star - BOB - BPCL - BPL - Brakes - BSNL - C-DOT - Cadence - Calsoft - Canara Bank - Canarys - Capgemini - Caritor - Caterpillar - CDAC - CGI - Changepond - Ciena - Cisco - Citicorp - CMC - Consagous - Convergys - CORDYS - Crompton - CSC - CTS - Cummins - Dell - Deloitte - Delphi-TVS - DeShaw - Deutsche - Dotcom - DRDO - EDS - EIL - ELGI - ELICO - ERICSSON - Essar - Fidelity - Flextronics - Freescale - FXLabs - GAIL - GE - Genpact - Geodesic - Geometric - Globaledge - GlobalLogic - Godrej - Google - Grapecity - HAL - HCL - Hexaware - Honeywell - HP - HPCL - HSBC - Huawei - Hughes - IBM - IBS - ICICI - iGate - Impetus - iNautix - Indian Airforce - Indian Airlines - Infosys - Infotech - Intec - Integra - Intergraph - IOCL - iSOFT - ISRO - Ittiam - JSW - Keane - Kenexa - L & T - L & T Infotech - LG Soft - Lifetree - LionBridge - Mahindra Satyam - Mastek - Maveric - McAfee - MECON - Microsoft - MindTree - Miraclesoft - Mistral - Motorola - Mphasis - MTNL - NIC - Nokia Siemens - Novell - NTPC - Nucleus - ORACLE - Patni - Perot - Polaris - Ramco - Robert Bosch - Samsung - SAP - Sapient - Sasken - SBI - Sierra Atlantic - Sonata - Sony India - Sutherland - Syntel - TCS - Tech Mahindra - VeriFone - Virtusa - Wipro - Zensar.