Tata Consultancy Services Interview Experience - Kolkata, 18th March 2016
I am presently in my final year of B.Tech and I am completing the course from BCETW, DURGAPUR. I have been hired by TCS through their off-campus placement drive. We had made our profile on the next step portal i.e. the Campus Commune page of TCS and were informed beforehand about the aptitude test which was held at a neighbour college of ours on 2nd April 2016. The aptitude paper was very easy. It started with an e-mail writing which we were supposed to answer in 10 mins.
After that came the aptitude round where we were supposed to answer 30 questions in 80 mins in which 28 questions were normal ones consisting of 1 mark and the last 2 questions were star questions consisting of 2 marks. The questions were very easy. The fact that we can use calculators in TCS aptitude rounds made the questions all the more easily answerable. You can practise aptitude questions from campusgate.com where all the past year's question paper of TCS is provided along with the solutions. Generally, the pretty good number of questions matches from the provided papers although in our case only 3 questions matched. But from my personal experience, I would suggest all of you to go through all the papers of CampusGate at least once before appearing for the test because if you get a common question in these tests it will be saving you a lot of time for answering the other uncommon ones.
After 2 days, we received a mail that we made it through the apti round and have our interview on 18th of March at TCS office, Kolkata. Please make sure you carry your backpack with a good number of snacks, eatables, and water (of course) because these drives are very tiring and devastating and you might end up waiting for 5-6 hours before your TR round like it happened to me.
Well coming to my TR round, I was interviewed by 2 male HR employees of TCS who were in a very happy and merry mood that day. (I don't know why but I consider myself lucky in that aspect). The questions that I was asked are as follows-
1. TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT YOURSELF.
2. WHY IS THERE A DETERIORATION OF MARKS IN CLASS 12 COMPARED TO YOUR CLASS 10?
3. WHAT WERE YOUR FAVOURITE SUBJECTS IN CLASS 12?
4. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY CO-EFFICIENT OF FRICTION?
5. STATES NEWTON'S 3RD LAW OF MOTION?
6. DO YOU KNOW KIRCHHOFF'S LAW? (Answer was yes and explained both the laws properly with a proper figure)
7. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY NORTON'S THEOREM? (In these type of questions always try to explain with a proper figure)
8. I WAS GIVEN A CIRCUIT WITH A VOLTAGE SOURCE AND 2 RESISTANCES BEING PARALLEL CONNECTED AND WAS ASKED TO FIND THE CURRENT IN THE 2ND RESISTANCE? (The values were provided by the interviewer)
9. YOU ARE FROM ELECTRICAL DEPARTMENT THEN WHY DO YOU WANT TO JOIN TCS?
10. WHAT ARE THE SUBJECTS THAT YOU STUDIED LAST SEMESTER? (One of them being the renewable and nonrenewable sources of energy)
11. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY RENEWABLE AND NONRENEWABLE SOURCES OF ENERGY?
12. WRITE A PROGRAM ON SWAPPING OF 2 NUMBERS WITH AND WITHOUT USING The THIRD VARIABLE?
13. (The algorithm that I had used in the program comprised of + and - sign. So the next thing I was asked is) WRITE THE SAME PROGRAM USING AND ALGORITHM COMPRISING OF * AND / SIGN.
14. (Lastly I was given a puzzle)
The interviewer had a way of solving this puzzle but I solved it using a different technique fearing whether it is correct or not by luckily my method and answer turned out to be positive and impressing my TRs. (Try to answer all the questions with all your confidence and in the best English that you can. Even if you aren't fluent in the language just give your 100%)
Within 10 minutes of my Technical Round (TR), I was called for my HR round. I along with 3 other people (who happened to be of the same college as I am) was called for HR round. That round was taken by a lady employee of TCS and as soon as we entered the room she called each one of us for every possible flaw that she found in our TCS employability form. But after this episode, the way she attended us was very sweet. She basically explained and gave us a rough sketch of the life we will be having once we join TCS after which she only asked us 2 questions which are as follows.
1. (This question was basically a situation) SUPPOSE YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING ON A PROJECT FOR THE PAST ONE MONTH AND YESTERDAY WAS YOUR DEADLINE OF SUBMITTING THE REPORT. YOU DID IT BUT SOMEHOW YOUR BOSS DIDN'T LIKE YOUR REPORT AND WANTS IT TO BE REDONE ALL OVER AGAIN BY TOMORROW AND TOMORROW HAPPENS TO BE YOUR BOYFRIEND'S BIRTHDAY FOR WHICH YOU HAVE BEEN PLANNING FOR A LONG TIME. WHAT WILL YOU DO THEN? (Try answering these questions in such a manner that your answer defines you work comes first trait which is somewhat helpful for the organisation)
2. NAME AN ANIMAL WITH WHOM YOU FIND RESEMBLANCES WITH YOURSELF IN TERMS OF TRAITS AND WHY?
After all these she asked "Any questions for me?"
Do ask if you have any doubts and clear it out with the HR.
After 3-4 days I received a mail stating that I was shortlisted and received my offer letter on the next following day. I hope my experience was helpful to all those who read it. Thank you so much, people.
3i Infotech - AAI - ABACUS - ABB - Accel Frontline - Accenture - Aditi - Adobe - ADP - Agreeya - Akamai - Alcatel Lucent - Allfon - Alumnus - Amazon - Amdocs - AMI - Andhra Bank - AppLabs - Apps Associates - Aricent - Ashok Leyland - Aspire - Atos Origin - Axes - Bajaj - Bank of Maharashtra - BEL - BEML - BHEL - BirlaSoft - Blue Dart - Blue Star - BOB - BPCL - BPL - Brakes - BSNL - C-DOT - Cadence - Calsoft - Canara Bank - Canarys - Capgemini - Caritor - Caterpillar - CDAC - CGI - Changepond - Ciena - Cisco - Citicorp - CMC - Consagous - Convergys - CORDYS - Crompton - CSC - CTS - Cummins - Dell - Deloitte - Delphi-TVS - DeShaw - Deutsche - Dotcom - DRDO - EDS - EIL - ELGI - ELICO - ERICSSON - Essar - Fidelity - Flextronics - Freescale - FXLabs - GAIL - GE - Genpact - Geodesic - Geometric - Globaledge - GlobalLogic - Godrej - Google - Grapecity - HAL - HCL - Hexaware - Honeywell - HP - HPCL - HSBC - Huawei - Hughes - IBM - IBS - ICICI - iGate - Impetus - iNautix - Indian Airforce - Indian Airlines - Infosys - Infotech - Intec - Integra - Intergraph - IOCL - iSOFT - ISRO - Ittiam - JSW - Keane - Kenexa - L & T - L & T Infotech - LG Soft - Lifetree - LionBridge - Mahindra Satyam - Mastek - Maveric - McAfee - MECON - Microsoft - MindTree - Miraclesoft - Mistral - Motorola - Mphasis - MTNL - NIC - Nokia Siemens - Novell - NTPC - Nucleus - ORACLE - Patni - Perot - Polaris - Ramco - Robert Bosch - Samsung - SAP - Sapient - Sasken - SBI - Sierra Atlantic - Sonata - Sony India - Sutherland - Syntel - TCS - Tech Mahindra - VeriFone - Virtusa - Wipro - Zensar.