INFOSYS PAPER & INTERVIEW - 06 AUG 2006 - BANGALORE
I am hiday. I have attended infosys exam on 6th august 2006 at St.Joseph Indian high school, Bangalore. I have cleared the written test and waiting for the results.Nearly 1000 people had attended the exam but only a few of around 120 members had cleared the test. It is very easy to crack the infosys exam just a hard preparation of 10 days is sufficient.
Tips for Preparation:
1) First do R.S. AGARWAL u will get basic aptitude.
2) Then do shakuntala Devi "puzzles to puzzle u" (v.v. imp) and "more puzzles" from which 3 marks questions will come.
3) Then do 2005 and 2006 previous papers (v.v.v. imp). try to get solution to each and every puzzle. I had left the questions which I hav not got answer. I hav seen the cow gait problem while practicing but I had not got answer so I left it. In the exam I had got the same question for 6 marks in the exam. As I had done two 8 marks questions it had not affected me much.
4) If time is there do the first part of GEORGE SUMMERS. I had done some questions. It consumes lot of time but try to understand atleast by seeing the answer.u have to get just such type of thinking for doing the 8 marks questions.also u can practice PUZZLE TEST chapter in Verbal Reasoning by R..S. AGARWAL for 8 marks and 6 marks questions.
5) If still Ur having time just have a glance at BRAIN TEASERS - RAVI NARULA. The train problem from Delhi to Amritsar in my test is from this book.
6) Lastly don't neglect English section as it will also be having weightage.u can study Wrenn and Martin for this section.mainly concentrate on usage of tenses, prepositions, articles etc. just they will be stressing on basics of grammar.
In infosys the written test consists of 2 sections:
1) Puzzle test- u have to answer 10 puzzles carrying 50 marks in 1 hour. in this section try to attempt each and every question because some times they will consider those who have tried to answer the tough questions.No need to get exact answer for those questions but u should have shown some rough work to those questions that u have tried to answer those questions.this will be plus point to u.
2) Test Of English Language - in this section u have to answer 45 questions in 30 minutes.each question carries 1 mark.all are multiple choice questions.no negative marking will be present.so answer all the questions.first comprehension passage will be given so leave it and start with other sections.after completion of all sections then switch to passage because it will take more time to answer the passage. After the completion of puzzle test they will take away question paper of puzzles but answer sheet of puzzles will be with u only.so if time is left in English section u can attempt puzzles.
The questions in my test are as follows:
1) In woods there were certain birds on each tree .Number of birds on each tree are equal to total number of trees in the woods.There are 2000-2100 birds altogether in the woods.How many trees are there in the woods? ( 3 marks )
Ans) let number of birds on each tree = X = number of trees in the woods.
Then total number of birds in woods = X^ 2. = in between 2000-2100
This number should be a perfect square.there is only one number in that range which is 2025.=45^2.
So total number of trees = 45. ( 100% sure )
2) In the construction of a house these were required
Designer and Painter equals Rs. 1100----->1
Painter and Plumber equals Rs. 1700---->2
Plumber and Electrician equals Rs. 1100---->3
Electrician and Constructor equals Rs. 3300----->4
Constructor and Mechanic equals Rs. 5300---->5
Mechanic and Painter equals Rs. 3200----->6
What are their individual costs? ( 3 marks )
Ans: Designer=200; Painter=900; Plumber=800; Electrician=300; Constructor=3000; Mechanic=2300. ( 100% sure )
Take 3 => pl + el = 1100
=> pl+ (3300-co) = 1100 ( from 4 )
=> pl + 3300-(5300-mec) = 1100 ( from 5)
=> pl + 3300-5300+mec=1100
=> Pl+3300-5300+(3200-pa)=1100 ( from 6)
=> Pa-pl = 100--->7
=> And pa+ pl= 1700--->2
=> By solving 7 and 2 we get pa = 900 and pl = 800.
3) A passenger train requires twice the time to overtake the freight train as it takes to cross the freight train when it is coming in opposite direction. How much faster is the passenger train in comparison with freight train? ( 3 marks) . ans) thrice.
Ans) let time taken by passenger train to cross freight (opposite direction) = t sec.=d/(sp+sf)
Then Time taken by passenger to overtake freight (same direction) = 2t sec. =d/ (sp-sf)
where total distance = d meters.
Speed of passenger = sp
Speed of freight train = sf.
So d / ( sp-sf) = 2d/(sp+sf)
=> sp = 3sf.
=> So passenger train is 3 times faster than freight train.
4) There are 5 towns - nalanda, thrilothika, rampur, solanpur and maninagar. So say N, T, S, R, M. Out of these, 4 are capitals, 3 industrial towns, two hill stations, two towns are on same longitude. Population of two cities is less than five lakhs and that of one city is 20 lakhs, also of other two cities is more than 50 lakhs. Thirlothika is an industrial town. Maninagars population is 20 lakhs. There are 4 capitals and two industrial towns. Now some data are given involving longitudes and latitudes such as, one of the hill stations do not lie in the longitude in which the harbour which is also an industrial town lies and so on. Rampur and thrilothika lies on same longitude. Solapur and Maninagar lies on same latitude like that some more data is given.
a. Which of the following combination has less than 5 lakhs population.
Ans: Nalanda and Rampur (100% Sure)
The town which is a harbour, industrial town and capital
Ans: Thrilothika (100% Sure)
Which of the following combination have more than 50 lakhs population.
Ans: Thrilothika and solanpur (100% Sure)
The town that is not a capital
Ans: Nalanda (100% Sure)
5) A slow coach train starting from Amritsar at 9:00 am reaches Delhi by 9:30am after 3 days and vice versa.If a slowcoach train starts from Delhi to Amritsar, how many trains will it meet on its way to Amritsar?
Ans) 7 trains.
Let us consider that today is Monday.
Train starts from Delhi at 9:00 am on Monday and reaches Amritsar on Thursday at 9:30 am.
The trains that will come on its way are
Trains from amritsar on: Fri Satur Sun Mon Tues Wedn Thurs
Reaches delhi on : Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
The above trains are all the trains which come to our train on its way.
So totally there are 7 trains.
6) Ann, Carol, Eve are friends. Ann will wear blue if and only if eve wears red. Ann and carol can wear red but not on the same day. Carol and eve can wear blue but not on the same day. Find Ann dress color? ( 6 marks )
Ans: blue (100% Sure)
Let red - 0 and Blue - 1.
1) if eve is 0 then ann is 1.
2) Ann and carol should not be 0 at same time.
3) Carol and eve should not be 1 at same time.
Ann carol eve
0 0 0 -------> not satisfying condition.( 1)
0 0 1-------> not satisfying condition.(2)
0 1 0-------> not satisfying condition. (1)
0 1 1------> not satisfying condition.(3)
1 0 0-----> satisfies all conditions.
1 0 1------> satisfies all conditions.
1 1 0 ------> satisfies all conditions.
1 1 1 ------> not satisfying condition. (3)
In all the satisfying conditions ann is wearing blue colour.
7) clark, jones, mason and smith are 4 people.their professions are druggist, butcher, policeman,and grocer not in the same order as their names.find their respective professions?
1) clark and jones are neighbours and they drive each other to work.
2) jones earns more than mason.
3) Policeman earns more than druggist and grocer.
4) policeman does not have druggist as a neighbour.
5) butcher goes to his work by walk.
6) policeman doesnot meet the grocer until he arrests him for exceeding the speed limit.
7) clark beats smith every time at bowling. ( 8 marks)
Ans) from 2 and 3,
Jones is police and mason may be one of druggist and grocer.
From 1 and 4 Clark is not police, and druggist.
From 6 jones( police) meet grocer only one time. So clark is not grocer.(since clark is neighbor to jones means they will be meeting daily).
=>Clark is butcher.
From 7, smith is a grocer (since a good man like Clark will not play with any druggist generally)
=> mason is druggist.
So jones => policeman.
Clark => butcher.
Smith => grocer.
Mason => druggist.
8) Two couples A, B, C, and D are present and they play musical instruments violin, drums, flute and guitar not in the order of their names.
1) person who plays violin and guitar are brother and sister.
2) person playing violin is opposite to person playing flute. ( 6 marks)
And some more conditions were given and asked to find their respective musical instruments.
It was easy. i had answered it.
9) there are 2 colours of bananas of which a bunch of red colour bananas cost 40 cents and a bunch of blue colour bananas cost 30 cents.if I would bought some bananas for some amount then I will get 2 more bunches than I had got if I divide the amount equally.then for what amount I would have bought the bananas? ( 6 marks )
Ans) 120 cents ( LCM of 30 and 40 ) I think it is wrong check it.
10) A cow is standing 5 feet from the middle of the bridge. A train is coming towards the cow at speed of 90 miles per hour from the near end and the train is twice as long as the bridge. If the cow had tried to move forward in the same direction as of the train then the cow would have got hit by three feet. But it moved in opposite direction to the train and saved by one feet. Then What is the length of the bridge?
What is the gait of the cow? (Speed of the cow) (6 Marks)
Ans) sorry I had not got the answer. B - length of the bridge.
C T - TRAIN.
The cow is at point 'C' and train is coming in the direction shown above.
I was confused with length of the bridge in feet and the speed of the train miles. So I did not attempt this question.
English section: It comprises of following sections:
1) A passage was given followed by questions. ( 6 marks)
2) Synonyms r given. ( 5 marks )
3) Identification of sentences that contains error ( usage of tenses, articles, prepositions) ( 5 marks)
4) Identification of sentences that are correct ( usage of tenses, articles, prepositions) ( 6 marks )
5) A story will be given with blanks in them.we hav to fill them ( 10 marks)
6) Choosing of best word or phrase.( 6 marks)
7) Choosing of appropriate word ( 7 marks)
My interview was on 7th august 2006 at 2:20 pm. I reached infosys campus by 2:00 pm. Mean while I had asked a person interviewed for puzzles, he told me make 23 using five 5's.
Ans) (5*5) - (5+5)/5.
Divide a line into 3 equal parts without using scale.
Ans) to the given line draw a line at 45 degrees w.r.t. the given line then divide that line into 3 equal parts of random length.from that points join the given line perpendicularly.then those points r the points which divide the given line into 3 equal parts.this we would hav studied in 1st year of engg drawing.but that guy had not answered to any one of the questions.
Actually this is my first HR in my life. there were 2 lady panel.i was tensed by seeing ladies. they signed me to come in through glass doors.
Me: may I come in mam.
Ladies: please come in.
Me: good afternoon mam.
Ladies: good afternoon please take ur seat.
Me: thank u mam with a big smile.
Ladies: one lady is not at all asking me questions.she is just observing me.only the other one had asked me questions.
Lady: what do ur friends call u?
Me: hiday mam.
Lady: ok hiday introduce ur self.
Me: I started with my B.Tech and continued up to 10th class.i was yet to tell about family background then
Lady: ok hiday how would u describe ur self?
Me: iam basically simple,adjusting and fun loving person.my friends consider me as sincere and friendly too mam.
Lady:when u had come here?
Me: just 20 min before mam.
Lady: hav u participated in any extracurricular activities?
Me: I hav participated in inter college level cricket competitions.
Lady: hav u not participated in any cultural events?
Me: no mam actually our batch is first batch in our college.apart from flag hasting on 15th aug no cultural events had conducted in my college.
Lady: oh I see!
Lady:what is ur project?
Me: i am from ECE background and my project is "IMPLEMENTATION OF SPEECH CODEC" which is related to DSP. I explained the basic concept behind my project.it seems that she had not understood it.
Lady: hiday what is ur role in ur project?
Me: I involved in my project as team leader mam.
Lady: as a team leader what is ur responsibility?
Me: it is my responsibility that I hav to make understand the project to everyone in the team mam.
Lady:what else hav u done?
Me: I hav collected material for documentation mam.
Lady: by seeing application she asked do u know MATLAB?
Me: yes mam my project has been coded in MATLAB itself.
Lady: hav u coded on ur own.
Me: mam to be frank it is very difficult to code our project.there will be number of functions for each operation.it is very difficult to know all those.but I know basics of matlab mam.
Lady: ok then from where u hav bought code?
Me: it was provided by my project guide mam.
Lady:what features can u add to the pen?
Me: I was tensed for that question and not answered it.but after cmng out I got different ideas like we can add watch in pen, we can add camera to that pen,we can add different colours to the pen so that it can change from one color to another after writing some thing. Etc.
Lady: ok leave it.this table is there na how can u use it?
1) we can use it for the separation of the room as a wall. Also lot of space gets saved if we use wood instead of wall.
2) By attaching mirror to it, it can be used as a mirror in barber shops mam.
3) instead of tiles in toilet we can use it mam.
Lady: I think wood will get spoiled na.
Me: smiled at her.
Lady: she had understood and switched to next question. There is a room and 2 hooks are attached to the ceiling of room which are spaced 0.5 meters apart.from the 2 hooks 2 ropes are there.these 2 ropes r touching to ur both hands.u have to remove those ropes by climbing only once?
Me:with one hand we hav to handle one rope and with other rope we hav to climb up and remove that rope.then we should fall but we r having the support of other one.with that rope I will climb to the other rope and remove that one also.
Lady:first she did not understand but later she get convinced.
Lady: I think ur father is hindi pandit?
Me: yes mam.
Lady: so u might be knowing hindi very well.
Me: yes mam ofcourse it is our national language too.
Lady:do u hav any queries?
Me: congratulations mam!
Lady: both of them get stunned and stared at me.
Me: for entering ur company into silver jubilee year.
Me: mam what skills r essential to be successful in this position ?
Lady: what do u think ?
Me: if any work is assigned to us then we should complete it before the deadline.
Lady: yes this is the first thing u should have in software field.
Me: I had not interfered again in that topic after she gave me a punch.
Me: if I would be selected in which domain I would be placed?
Lady: right now we can't tell ma.it depends on vacancies at that time in that domain.
Lady: any more.
Me: that's all mam.
Lady: ok all the best hiday!
Me: thank u mam (with a smile face).
I had left.it lasted for 15-20 minutes.
Then in the down stairs infosys volunteers intimated me that results r announced after 4 weeks.
So friends pray for me so that I can see the selection letter in my mail.i think this paper would have definitely helped u some thing.
All the best for infosys aspirants!!!!
3i Infotech - AAI - ABACUS - ABB - Accel Frontline - Accenture - Aditi - Adobe - ADP - Agreeya - Akamai - Alcatel Lucent - Allfon - Alumnus - Amazon - Amdocs - AMI - Andhra Bank - AppLabs - Apps Associates - Aricent - Ashok Leyland - Aspire - Atos Origin - Axes - Bajaj - Bank of Maharashtra - BEL - BEML - BHEL - BirlaSoft - Blue Dart - Blue Star - BOB - BPCL - BPL - Brakes - BSNL - C-DOT - Cadence - Calsoft - Canara Bank - Canarys - Capgemini - Caritor - Caterpillar - CDAC - CGI - Changepond - Ciena - Cisco - Citicorp - CMC - Consagous - Convergys - CORDYS - Crompton - CSC - CTS - Cummins - Dell - Deloitte - Delphi-TVS - DeShaw - Deutsche - Dotcom - DRDO - EDS - EIL - ELGI - ELICO - ERICSSON - Essar - Fidelity - Flextronics - Freescale - FXLabs - GAIL - GE - Genpact - Geodesic - Geometric - Globaledge - GlobalLogic - Godrej - Google - Grapecity - HAL - HCL - Hexaware - Honeywell - HP - HPCL - HSBC - Huawei - Hughes - IBM - IBS - ICICI - iGate - Impetus - iNautix - Indian Airforce - Indian Airlines - Infosys - Infotech - Intec - Integra - Intergraph - IOCL - iSOFT - ISRO - Ittiam - JSW - Keane - Kenexa - L & T - L & T Infotech - LG Soft - Lifetree - LionBridge - Mahindra Satyam - Mastek - Maveric - McAfee - MECON - Microsoft - MindTree - Miraclesoft - Mistral - Motorola - Mphasis - MTNL - NIC - Nokia Siemens - Novell - NTPC - Nucleus - ORACLE - Patni - Perot - Polaris - Ramco - Robert Bosch - Samsung - SAP - Sapient - Sasken - SBI - Sierra Atlantic - Sonata - Sony India - Sutherland - Syntel - TCS - Tech Mahindra - VeriFone - Virtusa - Wipro - Zensar.